• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mag 7 Impeller

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Anyone know a place in South Jersey I can pick up a replacement Mag 7 impeller. Not had good luck lately, broken 2 in the last 3 months.

Time to get out of the mag 7 business :p, but my Bermuda Aquatics 3C skimmer loves it.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
billyr98 said:
did u call Aquarium Center, they have a lot of parts behind the counter... but I would make a call first..

mmmm, never thought of them for that. I will call tomorrow.

If not let me know Phil, I've got them and could always bring one to the meeting if you can wait that long.

Carlo

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Carlo said:
If not let me know Phil, I've got them and could always bring one to the meeting if you can wait that long.

Thanks Carlo, but if I can't find one locally today, I am just going to buy a whole new pump, then order a impeller and keep the old pump as a spare. Might be a good time to make the switch to Eheim.

The Bermuaaquatics skimmer really likes the Mag 7, I have a old Rio 12HF on it for today and its a huge reduction in foam.

I could also drop one in the mail if you can't find one. Shame you don't live closer as I could loan you a Mag 7 too. I think I've got every mag/pond master up to the 3600 sitting on the basement shelf just in case. :)

Are you using the stock impeller or a modified (IE pinwheel) type on the skimmer/mag 7?

If I were a betting person I'd think you could get that impeller at AC as they normally have them there. THR would also have them I'd think if they are closer to you.

The newer Eheim pumps have there own set of issues (higher then normal failure rates) so I'm not sure an "upgrade" is worth it.

Carlo

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Carlo said:
The newer Eheim pumps have there own set of issues (higher then normal failure rates) so I'm not sure an "upgrade" is worth it.

Haven't heard that, but I have seen better pressures at a much lower wattage. A 1260 @ 630 GPM, has more ooooomph that a Mag 7 @ 700 with less wattage.

I really hadn't heard it either Phil but I've been seeing it first hand on returns in the last few months so I'd thought I'd mention it.

I don't doubt your observations at all on the wattage and pressures. Mags aren't exactly effecient pumps. Kind of like comparing Iwaki and Sequence external pumps.

Carlo

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks everyone, Aquarium Center in Blackwood did have the impeller and at a reasonable price. My skimmer is now very happy again.

pgordemer said:
Anyone know a place in South Jersey I can pick up a replacement Mag 7 impeller. Not had good luck lately, broken 2 in the last 3 months.

Time to get out of the mag 7 business :p, but my Bermuda Aquatics 3C skimmer loves it.

fwiw, it may be time to give Danner a call about the pump itself. I've owned something like 15 magdrives in the last 4-5 years, 5 all the way to a 24, and all I had issues with was a broken shaft on a 9.5 a long long time ago. If you're gonna stick with it, it might be worth buying a spare impeller.