• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mag 9.5 return pump??

I'm getting ready to set up a 120gal RR tank .. I have so far:

120G AGA RR tank (1200gph)
OuterOrbit Pro 48" 2x250W HQI MH's and 4x54W T5's
55G DIY Sump (not made yet)
Coralife SuperSkimmer 220G
500W heater (i'll buy next week)
1 Tunze 6045 .. (getting one more or i want to get 2 Koralia 4's)

Anyway my question is ... Is the Mag Drive 9.5 good for a return pump?

Also any other feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We ran our 120 with a mag 12 using a mag 15 impeller and had perfect performance. A 900 is going to net you about 700 throughput.

Go with 2@250w heaters. Better for you than 1@500. IMO stay away from the WON brothers digi therms.

Don't waste your time on 1 6045. We ran with 1 tunze and 1 vortech (though I would have done a 7095 & 2 6100s if money wasn't an issue).

Keep in mind the rule of thumb is 10 x tank gallon size for pump for good flow rate. Keep in mind every twist and turn in the return will cut down the flow. For instance if if you have on the return pump a uv filter that can cut the flow rate by nearly half including the length of the return hose. In this instance size matters. ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
10x for flow is important, but all of that doesn't have to roll through your sump if you've got sufficient additional powerheads in the tank.