• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Magnesium dosing

Been dosing Epsom salt and just did a Salifert test and the results are off the charts, above 1500. Added 1 tablespoon in a 8oz glass of RO water for 2 weeks in a 70 gal system.
Results Amazing!!! My tanks are full, a mix from Softys to LSP, + a few fish. NO NEGATIVE EFFECTS NON THAT I CAN SEE! Actually my clowns are about to spawn again, showing pre spawn behavioral.
Brimosis, Hair algae is 99% gone and the remaining looks sick = Good.
I have not have had to clean my tank glass in almost a week. Diatoms, Red Slime not a trace.
Alk went high and I balanced it out with calcium.
PH went a bit low, corrected with Baking Soda.
NO3 tests =undetectable levels
PO4 tests =undetectable levels
Salinity was High corrected it with RO

This is something to con ceder and the 30 + members that have stopped over can verify what I am seeing.

How long have you been dosing Epsom salt? I'm afraid to use it cause of the Sulfate that it has. I'm thinking of using MAG Flake but also afraid of that as well. I will only use it to raise Magnesium in my water change.

2 weeks about, Brightwell Aquatics Mag-P main ingredient = Magnesium sulfate = Epsom Salt
at 20x the price and it takes alot to raise mag levels.

radiata

NJRC Member
ricwilli said:
How long have you been dosing Epsom salt? I'm afraid to use it cause of the Sulfate that it has. I'm thinking of using MAG Flake but also afraid of that as well. I will only use it to raise Magnesium in my water change.

Sulfate really isn't an issue - it is actually a major constituent of seawater. If you want to be fussy with magnesium, use a 10:1 MgCL/MgSO4 ratio to keep your chloride and sulfate ions in the same ratio as found in seawater.

If you want to be fussy with magnesium, use a 10:1 MgCL/MgSO4 ratio to keep your chloride and sulfate ions in the same ratio as found in seawater.
Gave this some thought, decided to have a beer and dump in some more Epsom Salt, way beyond me bud!
SWITCH420 anytime Bud!

i am to scard to add epsom salt to my tank. maybe one day ill try it. u serious it takes 20x more from brightwell product the epsom salt? stupid question but does it raise the salinity? it messes with the alk too? does it mess with ph too?, hey if i can save money by ask. i usually buy brightwells products, mag, 2 part, and koralkolor

Example
100 gal tank to raise mag from 1200ppm to 1500ppm
ESV B-lonic mag liq takes 3000 ml; 101.4 fl oz; 600 tsp
Salifert Mag Dry 227.1 tsps; 1135.6 ml of Powder;
Epsum Salts 1120.2 grams; 39.5 oz
Anything you use takes a lot.
Balance your Cal/Alk, Kinda keep a note of the PH, add mag each day, I use 1 table spoon Epsum Salt per day in a glass or RO added to sump. Let it mix for a hour then do tests, every 2-3 days, every thing stayed in check.
Use this it works, http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html
Greg