• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

magnesium ????

hello everyone

going to begin getting into SPS and LPS corals. I understand the importance of Calcium, but how important is Magnesium and Alkalinity? And how are you adding Magnesium to your tank? I was thinking of build a cal reactor, or just stating with Tropic Marin Bio Cal, as it keeps my calcium level at or slightly about 450. I have yet to test the Alk levels, is that important? Everything is doing fine right now, and thriving. I want to make sure thing stay that way as best I can, hence my questions. I have a chance of getting a LE Pink Lemonade, and a frag of Sunset Monti, but at a reasonable price. I don't want to get them and not be able to keep them alive. So, can someone advice me in this,

thanks

rev

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium are all closely interrelated. How much calcium your tank will hold is directly related to what your Magnesium number is as well as what your alk number is. You Ca will struggle to be more than 3x your mag and if your alk is too high your Ca will precipitate. Conversely if your Ca is too high your alk will be low (think of it in terms of how many marbles will fit into a bowl. Some may be blue and others pink but when you hit saturation levels (a full bowl of marbles) adding one more pink will push out another marble (blue).

Getting them balanced and learning to keep them balanced is a process. The more corals in your tank, the more likely that balance is to get thrown while you learn to juggle it.

Starting out with hard to get/keep corals? Probably not the wisest investment. JMHO.

Not going to keep them in my tank till I get this alk/calc.ph thing down. In the mean time, I have someone that will keep it in their tank. I'm not that crazy Phyl, lol, a little but not a lot. I can get those 2 frags at a good price, so I figure get them now, and when things are right, I can move them into my tank.

As for the ALK, Calc, Mag, PH balancing act, I will learn more about it, I know it's not that technical, and once I understand the theory a little more, I'm sure I can handle it. Thanks Phyl

ps: sorry about Saturday, my wife and I went to look at a house in Neptune.

rev

ok

cool. I'm going to get a couple more frags, one is a pink stag, can you keep it in your tank, the clubs tank? If and when it gets some good growth, and can be fragged to pay for holding it.

edwin