• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mail Order Live Rock

I ordered about 30lbs from sealifeinc.net about a month and a half ago and got some amazing stuff. many colors and no bad hitchhikers have been found yet. definatly recommend them..with shipping it ended up being about $6/lb which is pretty good compared to what some of these local fish stores charge.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Marco Rocks is one our sponsors. You should check them out. Lots of happy reefers use Marco Rocks.

I get mine from seatrademarine.com. He's a local jersey guy in Medford NJ. Nice guy to deal with and you can pick it up so you save money on shipping. He has a nice selection also. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Harry

I ordered mine from Marcorocks...I called him before hand to tell him the size tank I was doing (55gallon) so I would be sure to get some pieces that would fit in the tank...I can say that I wouldn't buy "wet" rock again...I would go with Marcorocks if I were you....you will be very happy with what you recieve...

RichT said:
Marco Rocks is one our sponsors. You should check them out. Lots of happy reefers use Marco Rocks.

I thought Marco Rocks sold dried out rock.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Sorry, I'm a biology geek -- finding the hitchhikers is part of the fun for me.

jimroth said:
RichT said:

I thought Marco Rocks sold dried out rock.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Sorry, I'm a biology geek -- finding the hitchhikers is part of the fun for me.

Product-wise...

I only have experience with tbs LR and while personally i found it a lot of fun to study the hitchers - it's not very "turnkey". You will get great color and some neat hitchers (serpent stars, manacina species brains, christmas worms), but you may also get unwanted hitchers - cirolanid isopods, hammer-type mantis shrimp, various sponges which won't survive long term, a ton of xanthid crabs, maybe whelks, and more.

In essence it takes time to sort out the good (porcelain crabs etc.) from the bad.

Company-wise -
I really think TBS is top notch. They are a small shop (3~4 ppl) but are really great. I think the downside also maybe that if the weather doesn't cooperate in the gulf, there could be a long wait for LR. Also -they are known to throw in extras (for me it was extra peppermint, serpent star, snails and hermits). If you do not want a condylactis free - make sure you tell them.

That all stated, I think if I were to do it again, I may do a mix-match with dry LR (marco). I haven't decided yet...still waiting to finish my "house projects" before doing anything with the 120 I bought from AqOb.

edit - i forgot one other thing. If you are not close to Newark Airport or Philadelphia Airport - TBS may not be ideal. Shipping is a lot cheaper by picking up at the airport...if you want it at your door...skip them.