• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Majano Wand or High powered laser for aiptasia removal

Has anyone in the club used a majano wand or high powered laser to kill aiptasia? I've seen the videos on youtube and other forums and have heard stories but wanted to know if anyone local has personally used them or witnessed them in action.

I am aware of the other removal methods using kalk paste, superglue, vinegar, and boiling water. I personally liked using peppermint shrimp however at this moment I only have two aiptasia and do a lot more target feeding these days and the shrimp will steal food from my corals. A file fish is not an option. I have a 40 breeder.

Has anyone in the club used a majano wand or high powered laser to kill aiptasia? I've seen the videos on youtube and other forums and have heard stories but wanted to know if anyone local has personally used them or witnessed them in action.

I am aware of the other removal methods using kalk paste, superglue, vinegar, and boiling water. I personally liked using peppermint shrimp however at this moment I only have two aiptasia and do a lot more target feeding these days and the shrimp will steal food from my corals. A file fish is not an option. I have a 40 breeder.

I ordered a 5w blue laser about a month ago from china. I am still waiting for it to get here. I would go with the laser over the wand because the wand is hard to get into place for those hard to reach aptasia and sometimes the aptasia will spread if you don't zap them right

I ordered a 5w blue laser about a month ago from china. I am still waiting for it to get here. I would go with the laser over the wand because the wand is hard to get into place for those hard to reach aptasia and sometimes the aptasia will spread if you don't zap them right

Matt when it finally arrives I would love to rent it, shoot me a PM.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What did Dr. Evil say about putting lasers on sharks?

Although 5w is strong for a hand-held laser, I'd be surprised if this worked by shooting through glass or water. The water will quickly diffuse the energy...and the further it has to travel, the less energy. This might work directly over the varmint, but will probably take considerable time. Keep us informed Matt....you've got my curiosity.

depending on the color laser you have to get a specific color safety glass lens. I actually picked up a few pairs of glasses that way other people can be in the room. You just have to pay attention and thin about the angle and think about the laser reflection.

Its like drilling a tank for the first time. Its super scary but if you are careful you should be fine.

Paul the Melevsreef video is the one I watched....that is CRAZY!!

I'm still worried about the tank glass though......

Lasers only affect dark colored objects so it will not harm glass or acrylic. It will melt a black trash bag but do nothing to a clear one.

This is pretty neat, although the battery life is pretty short. I wonder if there is a DC powered one out there.

just ordered a couple things online to build my own majano wand. total cost $16 not including the 12v 1A dc adapter and tubing/pvc i have laying around.

I ordered 6 batteries to help with how whether go dead. I actually had to order the batteries separately. There was some issue with customs and the batteries so what comes with the laser is the charger but not the batteries. I read something somewhere that you can privatelg only own a 5w laser. Nothing stronger. How true thst is i don't know.

So I have 6 batteries and 3 pairs of laser safety glasses. Just no laser. I think it got held up with the Chinese new year. Apparently they take weeks off to celebrate and everything pretty much shuts down.

True about the Chinese New Year, it's typically the only time off the factory workers get the entire year. Sad but true.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow! Just watched the videos. I'm surprised. I still feel that it is going to take some time to totally "zap" an aptasia/majano.

As far as the concern for glass, lasers are only going to have a problem if there are impurities or imperfections within the glass. If there are, pop goes the weasel. I had an engineering friend who worked at Schott Optical, and made laser glass.....ultra pure glass.