• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Man arrested for animal cruelty (abandoned a fresh water oscar cichild)

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I saw that and about time. No difference than having a dog, cat, rabbit, hamster, etc. Just because you can't snuggle with it is no reason to neglect the fish needs.

Bot587

NJRC Member
It is really messed up that he abandoned the fish.

On that note, the man was evicted from the home, is this really the time to be fining him for animal cruelty to a fish?

This is just too much... I would say 40% of reefers have performed animal cruelty in that case (cycle fish)... what about the tang police... incorrect lighting for corals? How many people do home visits before someone buys a coral?

Sorry if I come down on the opposite side of this. Although I don't agree with the guy, and would never do such a thing. I think we have to draw a line somewhere.

PS: any catch and release fishermen out there...... You're next ;)

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
It

PS: any catch and release fishermen out there...... You're next ;)

Hey I’m all for this one. That’s a lot of pain and suffering for an animal strictly for sport. At least eat it and put it out of its misery after torturing it for x time it took u to catch it. Just my .02

On that note, the man was evicted from the home, is this really the time to be fining him for animal cruelty to a fish?

I agree, I'm sure he had other concerns after being evicted from his home. We can't really judge without knowing the full story. Ignorance/misinformed is different from purposely harming other living things.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Hey I’m all for this one. That’s a lot of pain and suffering for an animal strictly for sport. At least eat it and put it out of its misery after torturing it for x time it took u to catch it. Just my .02

You don’t get to pick what takes your lure. What happens when you catch something out of season, or too small?