• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mangroves

From what I read from Calfo/Fenner - mangrove roots grow big (like you see on national geographic etc) because of the tidal changes. Without the tides, it just sprouts roots like any other plant you might frag and keep in a bottle. If you expose the roots to air every so often, eventually (again i can't recall if credit goes to calfo or fenner) he stated that the roots grow into those hard oversized things where by fish can swim thru, in between and under etc.

Something to think about...I think mangroves are great. Just a nice a change. The only downside is that (and this is what we are discussing on this thread) RHF (randy farley) has questioned the efficiency of groves as a nitrate exporter.

There is like a 40 plus page thread on refugiums on RC and part of it has a mangrove discussion - lemme go see if I can find it again.

Either way im thinking i might place two or 4 in my tank in the front of the tank.

Since my tank is setup as a shallow reef with flow coming over the top i may when TUNZE releases their nano wavebox actually be able to completely replicate a shallow reef/tidal zone.

Youd have to trim back the mangrove roots but i think its be pretty neat looking to go from a reef in the back of my tank to a mangrove in the front.

The roots seem to grow real quick and we have never had 0 nitrates except for running the sulfur denitrator I really like the look of the mangroves coming out of the refuguim It's like just having another houseplant and 1 less pump running IMHO is always a good thing

ReeferNets said:
Either way im thinking i might place two or 4 in my tank in the front of the tank.

Since my tank is setup as a shallow reef with flow coming over the top i may when TUNZE releases their nano wavebox actually be able to completely replicate a shallow reef/tidal zone.

Youd have to trim back the mangrove roots but i think its be pretty neat looking to go from a reef in the back of my tank to a mangrove in the front.

That would be a great biotope...

hey I want one of those waveboxes too...i smell group buy. lol.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
From what I was told by TLF and Calfo (in person at MACNA DC) you need to suspend the pods vertically half way in the water. Then once the the roots are established, you can remove whatever was suspending them.

RichT said:
From what I was told by TLF and Calfo (in person at MACNA DC) you need to suspend the pods vertically half way in the water. Then once the the roots are established, you can remove whatever was suspending them.

That is how we are set up with the plastic container in the main display and the egg crate in the frag tank

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh...I see now. I thought they were horizontal and below the water in the picture. Sorry bout that.

phil519 said:

That was weird - I had written something about the link above - and somehow...oh well.

That set up was interesting only because the mangroves were in what looked like an 8 inch DSB.

RichT said:
Yes but to get the roots to "harden" rather than just be bushy, I believe the thought was to expose the roots to air frequently (to simulate tides).

Anyways - I don't have mangroves - just very much interested - especially in seeing how adesimone1 does with her set up! (that is, if indeed it's the mangroves and not the salt as the critical factor in her better chemistry).

I do believe that it is the mangroves. I am working on my 2nd batch of the salt now and Bill RBU1 has been using the salt alot longer and he has a problem with the nitrates I started using the mangroves before Bill just 2 plants and then Bill ordered more so we added more to our system that's when we noticed the big drop in the trates. I will keep everyone posted.

I went out to Something Fishy on Saturday and got two mangroves for my 30 breeder.

For now i put them in a breeder box in my tank till i can figure out the easiest way to mount them.

One has some huge routs that have begun to shoot out some newer greener roots. The other has little nubs.

I havent tested anything yet. Since i put them in on saturday a second leaf has sprouted on both.