• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Manifold water pressure

arvin

NJRC Member
Hello,

I am having hard time distributing water pressure among the outlets in the manifold. Here is a drawing of my setup:

manifold.jpg

I use ball valves for all of them. I have a bio pellet reactor connected to the outlet #6. I don't see sufficient water pressure in this outlet #6. It is not sufficient enough for the pellets to tumble. There is plenty of pressure in the last outlet (#1) in the line which goes back to the sump.

One way to force water to outlet #6 is to throttle #1, but then I don't know if the excess water will be pushed to #2, #6 or any of the other outlets. When I built this manifold, my assumption was that after allowing all the open outlets to use available water, the last outlet will push all the remaining water back to the sump. Clearly that is not how it is working currently.

Can someone suggest how to fix this? Below is the finished product:

2012-02-25_14-00-06_955.jpg

It is a 2" pvc running all the way, reduced to 1.5" TEE you see in the picture and further reduced by 1" ball valves. The last ball valve in the line (#1) is a 2" ball valve.

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks in advance...

-arvind.

arvin

NJRC Member
That's not a good situation for me. #7 goes to the display tank. If anything, I want to leave that alone. In other words, how do I plumb the manifold such that,

1. The flow to display tank does not get affected with the things I add or remove in the manifold. There is a ball valve currently which I want to switch to a gate valve. So this valve controls the water being sent to display tank. The remaining water should be sent back to the manifold.
2. In the manifold #2 through #6 should be individually controllable using ball/gate valves.
3. Any remaining water should be sent to #1.

For now, I can manipulate the valves and get the pressure I need. For longer term, I am looking for a permanent solution. I dont mind replumbing it to get the result I am looking for.

-arvind.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you cut down flow on #1 it will increase pressure to #6 & #7 and increase their flow. It really is a balancing act to get it all right. You need to watch and adjust #7 so you don't have more water going to the tank than the overflows can handle (= flood).

If you cut down flow on #1 it will increase pressure to #6 & #7 and increase their flow. It really is a balancing act to get it all right. You need to watch and adjust #7 so you don't have more water going to the tank than the overflows can handle (= flood).

Lol, what I said but in lot less words. Sorry Arvin for not being more detailed. Was getting ready to take the kids to gymnastics. Another thing you want to look at is what Steve (spotter) is saying. If your pump is not strong enough, than you don't need #1 open at all. But you still need to throttle back # 7 to get back pressure to the rest of the valves.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's a lot of pump! What size tank and how many (and what size overflow bulkheads) does it have?

arvin

NJRC Member
Lol, what I said but in lot less words. Sorry Arvin for not being more detailed. Was getting ready to take the kids to gymnastics. Another thing you want to look at is what Steve (spotter) is saying. If your pump is not strong enough, than you don't need #1 open at all. But you still need to throttle back # 7 to get back pressure to the rest of the valves.

No problem Ritchie, I can understand the Saturday can be hectic especially on a meeting day.

I get it now. I understand that by throttling both ends, the water can be forced to the openings in between. I am going to try that tomorrow.

Yeah that is a lot of pump for a 180g. I am running a blue line 100 on my system which is a total of 400g right now and thats almost too much pump. I would definitely turn off #1 and you should be able to balance it out. Manifolds are great but can be tricky.

I think his tank is on the second floor. So his options with pump selections are limited. The good thing about that pump, is that when throttled back, the less energy it wastes.