• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Marco Spaghetti Rock

-So I originally was going to post in a thread that was over 120 days old because it directly applied. As I started writing the post though, I found that my questions/inquiries were getting more involved in the specifics of a certain type of rock that I haven't seen any real press for. So, I figured I would just make the thread anew as someone else down the line may not use the search feature/may not remember the many options for rock Marco gives.
----original post
Hi, I know this hasn't been posted in for a very long time, but I did a search for Marco rocks/spaghetti rock and this was one of the better/appropriate threads. I didn't want to 'waste' thread space when this thread is perfectly aligned with my question because it questions/debates the different versions of rock on Marco's site (instead of many other things i.e. curing/cost/etc)

So, on to my question:
Has anyone ever ordered the australian spaghetti rock? I'm thinking of ordering the 1x10# box to start with. I like the way it looks, it's a cheaper start since I'm just trying it out, and I think it'll look 'hot' when it gets coralline.

So far the only worries I've heard is that:
-It's a bit more dense than typical marco rock (but no one has said it is as dense as store bought live rock/etc, so it is at least in terms of density better than the alternative to marco/eco rox)
-It takes a longer time to wash, as this aussie rock is 'dirtier' than usual marco (either way I have to cure/cook it for months, so I'm not looking for a 'quick' trial)

The pictures on the site make it seem as though there are less 'deep unexplored' spaces because you can see the majority of the structure in the tubules of the rock (it's almost as if I can see through the rock in the pic). Is this 'ok' in terms of having parts of your rock more or less unexposed to the general tank environment (i.e. deep dwelling bacteria).

I've never used anything save for liverock, and only recently started curing some rubble. I want to make some changes to my tank before/by the summer.

Extra question:
Do you support the use of a protein skimmer during curing process? How about use of a filter/chamber to run phosban reactor/nitrate reactor in an effort to reduce the amount of phos/nitr. in the rock before it gets to your main tank

I have read quite a few people cure their LR and attach a skimmer. Others advocate just more water changes....

A skimmer while curing removes a lot of disolved organics and helps reduce the ammonia build up. And i do believe it might even speed up the curing process a little.

thanks
Harry

Great, I spoke with Marco and I'm going to get a mix of small fiji, spaghetti and tonga. That way I'll be able to try out everything he carries and see what peices are best for different parts of what I'm trying to construct.

I'll make a post here for a review of all 3 types (comparison) based on what I have. I wont get the shipment for a bit as I'm on spring break now and not instate.

With the process of curing isnt to get rid of the dead organics/ xtra phosphates - but at the same time build up the beneficial bacteria..

thats why I have seen - heard members from groups just cure their rocks with ro water+ low salinity/ powerhead / and light..

With the concern of the spaghetti rock.. the only thing is that water current might not flow through the rock that well due to so many spots inside the rock being blocked from flow..

i personally would run a skimmer to remove all of the dead organics. do frequent water changes in the beginning and reduce as you reduce the load on the skimmer.If you are going to cure for months then i would add a light and a few pieces of coraline incrusted live rock to start colonizing the rock.