• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Maroon Clowns

Went to the hidden reef today and saw that they had some really small goldstripe maroon clowns for like $10. I've been trying to pair my regular maroon with another maroon and had no luck with the last fish. this time i also picked up a breeder net so they dont absolutely kill each other like last time. so my question is who goes in the breeder net? or does it not matter? the guy at the store said to put the big one in there but he's kinda hard to catch right now so im probably going to put the little one in there.

I did this with a white bonnet clown.

Take your baby golden stripe and put it in the breeder box. See if they one you have goes after the clown in the box. If not let it go for about a week in the breeder box.

If he attacks at first its gonna be a long time in the breeder box.

How big is your current maroon?

I did this with a white bonnet clown.

Take your baby golden stripe and put it in the breeder box. See if they one you have goes after the clown in the box. If not let it go for about a week in the breeder box.

If he attacks at first its gonna be a long time in the breeder box.

How big is your current maroon?

my current maroon is a little over two inches and the new one is less than an inch. she hasnt really been interested in the new one yet but i also just got a bta that she loves now so i dont know if thats why. the last time i tried to pair her she wouldnt leave the smaller one alone and i didnt have a breeder net so i eventually had to get rid of him. off topic but i just got a marineland hot canister filter to act as a vacuum for my barebottom tank. ive never used one before and this is probably a stupid question but does saltwater or freshwater go in the filter? the directions show a sink but i wasnt really sure.

As Barry said, take it slow. He knows clowns better than anyone else on this board IMHO.

I paired maroons (a LONG time ago) using a breeder net. I kept the adolescent in a net for 2 weeks, then the female into a breeder net for the next two weeks, then the adolescent into the net for the next two weeks etc., and over the course of about 6 weeks, they managed to coexist, then pair up.