• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Master or war paint?

Do we have any scoly keepers here in NJ?

Would appreciate your opinion, i get very confused with the use and abuse of coral naming.

What constitutes a true Master Scoly?

Is the scoly in the attached image a Master or a War Paint?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421097332283.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421097332283.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 95

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
The picture is quite blurry but I would lean more towards a war paint morph. Master usually has 4+ colors.

Thank you for the assistance.

As a result of an impulse i committed to purchasing it for $150, advertised as a Master Scolymia.

I slept on it and woke up uneasy bc after mentally processing the purchase it looks like a war paint but i am just not well versed in coral identification.

I may have to back out of the purchase, dont appreciate misleading ads

If you like it enough without a name to spend 150 then enjoy it for whatever it is. Just my opinion of course. Who knows if the seller even can figure out which one they are can be a totally honest mistake, you have two smart folks giving opposite answers soooooo.... I think it is pretty cool sounds like reasonable price for either one so just be happy.

Its a tough one, the impulse was driven by the word Master, haven't made up my mind as to what to do.

As you mentioned two different opinions means this one is an iffy. The seller is a well established NJ retailer.

I can live without it, redirect the funds to sps corals

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Here's how most scolys are usually named

Bleeding Apple - Majority of green with red/orange splashes

Bleeding Heart - Majority of red with green splashes

War Paint - Majority of blue with orange/red and white splashes

Master - 4+ colors usually a mix of green, red, purple, orange and sometimes white

Unique - This is where it gets blurry. These are usually a single color or color combination you normally don't see on the market very often. Some as simple as a super bright orange as the single color to 5+ color mix of usually red, orange, green, purple, yellow, white. These are usually the most expensive and harder to obtain on the market.

As for the picture. It's small and blurry but I can see primarily blue with red, orange with white stripping and a green mouth. Assuming the colors are true I'd call this a master or unique. Especially since you don't see a color combination (green mouth on a war paint) very often. At $150 BUY IT! :)

As for my feelings on coral "naming"...... That's a rant for another day......

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
150$ for any scoly with a few colors is a good price. Masters usually start at 400$ (on the cheap side) and go up from there.

Thank you for the explanation to you and everyone else.

This story has come to an end and its another If It's To Good To Be True story....

I had already figured out that the seller is Absolutely Fish. I purchased the item on Ebay and figured out on my own that it was Absolutely Fish in Clifton.

After this thread, I contacted the seller and requested permission to pick up the Scoly instead of having it shipped. I was told I could pick it up if I paid for it first.

Paying for the Scoly before arriving did not settle right with me so I showed up, searched their tanks and found the Scoly. Since this particular store has such great customer service it was not long before someone approach me to offer assistance and the person confirmed that I was looking at the Ebay Scoly.

The Scoly is a mini Scoly that has been bleached. It does not look like it ever was a Master Scoly but rather a War Paint Scoly that had been bleached.

I told them it was not a Master Scoly, they agreed and I am not paying for it, if I am not mistaken a cancellation request is already in my Inbox.

If its too good to be true it usually is.....

Blue leds and the right shot sure do make for a good picture...

Here's how most scolys are usually named

Bleeding Apple - Majority of green with red/orange splashes

Bleeding Heart - Majority of red with green splashes

War Paint - Majority of blue with orange/red and white splashes

Master - 4+ colors usually a mix of green, red, purple, orange and sometimes white

Unique - This is where it gets blurry. These are usually a single color or color combination you normally don't see on the market very often. Some as simple as a super bright orange as the single color to 5+ color mix of usually red, orange, green, purple, yellow, white. These are usually the most expensive and harder to obtain on the market.

As for the picture. It's small and blurry but I can see primarily blue with red, orange with white stripping and a green mouth. Assuming the colors are true I'd call this a master or unique. Especially since you don't see a color combination (green mouth on a war paint) very often. At $150 BUY IT! :)

As for my feelings on coral "naming"...... That's a rant for another day......

Master or war paint it's still a $150 scoly IMO
Really nice to if I was a scoly guy I would have bought it plus it's a retail store they have over head not someone's house
My LFS that would have been a $200 scoly

I don't think I explained clearly.

I was not interested in a war scoly nor a mini scoly. I was interested in a master scoly.

The store has other scoly's that were not bleached but would not sell those for $150, those were at full price of $280.

Conclusion, the store tried to off load a bleached Scoly on Ebay with a decent looking picture but in reality the buyer would have received a small scoly with colors washed out due to intense lighting.

This was never a thread about expensive and stores charge to much and so on.

This was a thread on identifying the scoly to determine if the label Master was being abused and it was and furthermore the sale ad on Ebay is a deceptive sale. The scoly is currently sitting in the front coral tank right in front of the koi pond.

Had I not been burnt in the past with deceptive ads and pictures I would not have been so cautious.

Thank you everyone for the assitance including Unique Corals.

Master or war paint it's still a $150 scoly IMO
Really nice to if I was a scoly guy I would have bought it plus it's a retail store they have over head not someone's house
My LFS that would have been a $200 scoly

Last edited: