• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Matt's 40g breeder

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Is the secondary drain pipe the same height as the main drain pipe?

I think too your exits of main and secondary pipe to sump are too long? I am on my phone and your video was quick there

I

I think too your exits of main and secondary pipe to sump are too long? I am on my phone and your video was quick there

I agree with this. Maybe the other pipes around that one need to go lower.

So I figured out what was happening was that the primary drain wasn't sucking in water because it didn't have suction due to the curve. I made a small air hole at the top and it fixed it. The secondary was slightly above the main but I shortened the primary drain more and made the emergency and secondary higher. Good thing I didn't glue them down (thanks to @CosmicMan 's comment) Worked perfectly

Last edited:
So I bought 2 ai primes along with a smart auto water changer and ATO. I also got 3 10g tanks (Petco dollar per gallon) that I'm going to use for the auto water changer. Needed somewhere to hide all of it so I built a bench with storage right next to my tank that is big enough to fit all 3 tanks right next to my main display so I can hide everything.

Attachments

• 20200718_190853.jpg
    20200718_190853.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200719_104938.jpg
    20200719_104938.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200722_210328.jpg
    20200722_210328.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200722_210333.jpg
    20200722_210333.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 6
  • received_609510209983406.jpeg
    received_609510209983406.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 6
  • received_302696434268519.jpeg
    received_302696434268519.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200712_174749.jpg
    20200712_174749.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 6
I'm at the point where I need to start moving things over. I do have new rock along with all my established rock from my old tank that I'll be switching over. I am nervous I'm gonna lose fish or coral though. So I'm procrastinating doing it. I did buy some Dr Tims one and only along with microbacter7 to dose to help the bacteria along but idk what the best way to go about it is

I also want to add copepods to the new tank before I add the fish (I have wrasses and want the pods to be able to settle before they get destroyed lol). But idk if It would work without a refugium?
If not, what's the best way to adding a refugium? Can I do it with the tank being so new? Or would I have to wait? What would be a good light that won't break the bank?
Any help is appreciated

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So I bought 2 ai primes along with a smart auto water changer and ATO. I also got 3 10g tanks (Petco dollar per gallon) that I'm going to use for the auto water changer. Needed somewhere to hide all of it so I built a bench with storage right next to my tank that is big enough to fit all 3 tanks right next to my main display so I can hide everything.
I like those lights. The AI prime app is very easy to use.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I'm at the point where I need to start moving things over. I do have new rock along with all my established rock from my old tank that I'll be switching over. I am nervous I'm gonna lose fish or coral though. So I'm procrastinating doing it. I did buy some Dr Tims one and only along with microbacter7 to dose to help the bacteria along but idk what the best way to go about it is

from what I read you should only dose one bacteria. So if you are doing dr Tim’s you shouldn’t dose any other bacteria because they will compete with each other.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I also want to add copepods to the new tank before I add the fish (I have wrasses and want the pods to be able to settle before they get destroyed lol). But idk if It would work without a refugium?
If not, what's the best way to adding a refugium? Can I do it with the tank being so new? Or would I have to wait? What would be a good light that won't break the bank?
Any help is appreciated

If you have rocks the pods will survive. You don’t need a refugium for pods.
look at the algae Turf scrubbers. They work well and don’t take up a lot of space

So a little update. I got the fish switched over to the new tank at the end of July. Unfortunately, I guess ich was in the system but not able to attack the fish due to whatever reason. But the stress from the move to the new tank might've been enough to stress them out. Tank has now been fallow for almost a month. I successfully got rid of it with TTM (thanks humblefish). Now I just gotta wait the 72 days. I did lose my Royal flasher Wrasse unfortunately. My yellow watchman goby somehow just disappeared.

Attachments

• 20200906_232721.jpg
    20200906_232721.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
However, on the positive side during this time, I've been working on my main tank. Tidying it up. I had a really bad hair algae outbreak along with cyano outbreak. Completely covering everything. I figured I finally got a sump, it's time to set up a refugium.

Attachments

• 20200906_231740.jpg
    20200906_231740.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
So first I added the chemiclean. Left it in for 48 hours and did a 50% water change. Then I added the turbo snails. They put in some insane amount of work. Then after waiting for Chaeto to become available on Algae barn for like 2 weeks, I finally got it. Did a 25% water change and added both algaes along with 2 bottles of reef nutrition tig pods (good a time as any to allow pods to bloom).
All the cyano is gone and there's like a couple strands of hair algae left, slowly going away.

finished making the bench I wanted to hide my ato and awc tanks, Made a control board, hung my lights, painted and put a door on my stand and set up my ATO and auto water change station. Super happy with how it came out.

Attachments

• 20200906_232131.jpg
    20200906_232131.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200906_232153.jpg
    20200906_232153.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200906_232123.jpg
    20200906_232123.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200906_232016.jpg
    20200906_232016.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 13
I got the 40b a few months back. Just moved to Brick so I was waiting to settle down before setting it up. Drilling it was scary but I did it. Also painted the back with krylon fusion.

20g long sump was given to me by the awesome @Paulie069
Beautiful stand was also given to me by @Hockeynut (got to check out his set up and I was amazed. Absolutely gorgeous and some great tips)
Looking good brother

Trying to update this as i go. Not interesting for many but in case I ever want to turn to it and reference it in the future.

So as you all know, i had an inch outbreak.
My stocking consisted of:
2 clowns(wyoming & snowflake), lawnmower Blennie, Yellow Coris Wrasse, Royal Flasher Wrasse, longboard hawkfish and a baby foxface (he brought the inch)

Foxface died to icy first.
Royal Flasher died the second I attempted to add even a drop of copper to the QT.

everyone else survived TTM.

After that, i did 80 day fallow period. Then out of nowhere, my male clown died followed by the female a week later. No idea what happened.

Then one day i came home from work to find my longboard hawkfish on the ground. (somehow found an opening through the glass lid in the QT)