• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Melanurus Wrasse

DYIguy

NJRC Member
It is definitely a fish that looks better as an adult- mine still looks greenish- but I'm a patient man

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Good luck w the new addition. Looks good and has a purpose.
I'm always nervous with new additions- mostly if they are eating. The Tomini just picked at algae for the first few days, then picked a little at frozen-after a week it devours frozen and flakes too. The canary blenny picks all the time at rock but won't touch flakes, but is starting to pick at frozen. the melanurus also picks at rocks all day but won't touch frozen or flakes- I'm dosing copepods and have a lot of amphipods. Not sure if they get eaten though- maybe the smaller ones

Don’t think they are that picky. Just get ready for it to stir up **** when looking to sleep. Wish I had a pic from this am. Reset the light schedule by an hour and it popped out lookin like Jim from taxi 1649367509407.jpeg1649367509407.jpeg

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Don’t think they are that picky. Just get ready for it to stir up **** when looking to sleep. Wish I had a pic from this am. Reset the light schedule by an hour and it popped out lookin like Jim from taxi View attachment 43153View attachment 43153
Mine is a late riser, doesn't get up til noon- I'm sure that will eventually change. I don't have to worry about the sand bed, I have a banded sleeper goby- 'rainman/snowman' that keeps the bed clean and covers everything at the bottom with sand. I use to worry about it with some corals and would blow it off several times a day with a turkey baster, but found that most are use to it and clean themselves off

DYIguy

NJRC Member
@HudsonReefer got me thinking about how some fish look great as juveniles and get less colorful as adults- both my midas blenny (african) and yellow dottyback were very yellow when young- a few months later both turned a musky brown, my tailspot blenny was also that way- I think some angels are also more colorful as juveniles too- glad I got one that should turn out the other way

DYIguy

NJRC Member
My wrasse is now on the same schedule as the rest of the tank, and started to eat flakes as well as frozen. The only fish I have that doesn't is the Canary blenny, I've had it for close to a month and it's belly always looks full, so I'm not too concerned, but will most likely still add pods a couple of times a month