• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Melanurus Wrasse

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I've had it for almost a year, now full grown- beautiful fish, but I think my tank is too small for it- 75g with a lot of rock- it spend most of the day doing laps. I think it would be better in a 90/120g. problem is catching it- I can't/ won't pull the tank apart to get it- then when I do catch it- I'd have to rehome it the same day- I thought about the LFS, but it has bare bottom tanks
Any suggestions appreciated

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mine was in an 80g for about 6 years ad I think its fine in the 75g. Mine did become a bully though.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've had a whole bunch of luck with a bottle trap....with one little modification....you cut a small hole in the side to fit the end of a turkey baster. Put the trap in your tank....actually leave the trap in your tank so the fish become use to it. Now fill the turkey baster with some delicious food.....I use mysis. Put the turkey baster in the hole and squirt in the food. Leaving the baster in the hole, every so often (especially if the subject fish is close), give the baster a squirt causing the food in the trap to spin around.....almost like a snow-globe. The fish will see this and dart in. I've had good success with this method.

1712262757653.png

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I've had a whole bunch of luck with a bottle trap....with one little modification....you cut a small hole in the side to fit the end of a turkey baster. Put the trap in your tank....actually leave the trap in your tank so the fish become use to it. Now fill the turkey baster with some delicious food.....I use mysis. Put the turkey baster in the hole and squirt in the food. Leaving the baster in the hole, every so often (especially if the subject fish is close), give the baster a squirt causing the food in the trap to spin around.....almost like a snow-globe. The fish will see this and dart in. I've had good success with this method.

View attachment 54753
Thanks, but I have to a new home before I can try this out, and hope it works

View attachment 54753
I have used it too!! Although I use glue to keep the 2 piece together

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member

View attachment 54753
I agree whole heartedly. It may take a few days but it does work. I used magnets to hold it against the glass which made it easier.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I made the mistake if using staples the first time. Had to keep one end of trap in the tank while I cut the other side to get the fish out.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Can’t you toss it in your 40? I could lend you a light and power head.
40 has water in it, but hasn't been run in ages- would have to do a complete new cycle etc. Actually thought about it since things seem to be doing well in the 70, but it's Spring and I'm busy with other things now- should have happened 3 months ago when I couldn't walk lol. I have lights, power heads and heaters