• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

MH ballast question!

What is the difference between some of the MH ballasts, for example, PFO, IceCap etc? What should I be looking for before deciding which one to buy ?

The brands are not too much different, but the key factor, especially with 250w ballasts or larger, is to always get electronic ballasts. They are a lot more energy efficient, and even though they cost more, you'll make up the price difference in a year to two years. They also run cooler, and get more life out of a bulb.

I am pretty sure PFO are Core and Coil Ballast
There is nothing wrong with them they still light the bulb.
They produce more heat
They are Larger
They use more energy to run
They are cheaper

Are you looking to run HQI (Double Ended) or Mogul (single ended)

If you are going to build your own MH fixture, I recommend single ended bulbs. Double ended bulbs put out a lot of heat, and generally need a fixture made out of metal, and even more important, they require UV blocking glass over them to prevent UV from damaging your livestock and you.

If you are going to purchase a fixture or pendants, then I recommend double ended bulbs. Fixtures for these bulbs usually contain a much better reflector, and direct more of the available light to your tank. The fixtures tend to be smaller also. One downside, if you use pendants, it can be very difficult to add supplemental lighting like actinic.

I have used both over the years, and I don't think there is any critical difference between single or double ended bulbs.

Thanks a lot guys, you help me with my decision. I going to buy 250W HQI electronic ballasts and pendants with UV glass. I think it will be IceCap ballasts but pendants don't know yet.

I would keep an eye out on RC for a used set if you are just starting out
On my 120Gal I am going with ARO 250 Watt ballast and Sunlight supply LumnenMax III Hqi Pendant. I used to run Icecap Ballast and Sunlight Supply ReefOptix Hqi Pendants.
I think the Lumnemax will give a better spread over any other Hqi pendant out there today. I also think the ARO and Icecap older Electronic ballast are the same

Jason