• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Midas blenny ?

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Anybody real familiar with these?
Heres the story,I bought 2 of them about 2 months ago put thim in the same tank
and now 1 of them has color so intense it looks neon.Now the second one went to ugly brown with a bright gold tail and they won't leave each other,did I possably get a pair?Wish I could take pics but kids got to the camera and CRACK.
Any thoughts would be great

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I really don't know much about them, but by your description it sure sounds like they paired up!

I have one and it’s a great little fish but it can be aggressive at times towards other blennies. Sounds like a pair since they are always fighting when I put them in the same tank at the shop. Not sure on the color difference but here is a quick link...

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/689.htm

Note this…
Gender: Females are typically smaller than males, and have a reduced first dorsal spine compared to that of the males.

HIH
~S

Sounds to me like they paired up. A lot of fish are hemaphrodites<sp?> so once they "pair up" one will change into a female. Good example of this is with Clown colonies. In the wild, a colony consists of a female, a male, and a few juveniles. The alpha male keeps the juves in check only allowing so many to stick around. If the Female dies, the Alpha male will morph into a female and one of the juves will become the Alpha.