• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Minature Kelp? Help Identify

I got this plant when i bought an unknown sps colony from a RC member. I took some pics to see if i can get an identity. Ive had it for three weeks and ive had to cut the stalks twice cause they reached the water surface.

Here are some pics. Help me indentify this mini kelp. Im gonna harvest it.
IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

It's actually a kind of sargassum. Back when the live rock you could get didn't suck so bad, it was pretty common. I had it for more than a year, and sometimes harvested a gallon at a time from my 90G reef. No fish I found really eats it very much, it doesn't spread much either. What finally killed the last of it for me was a diadema sea urchin --they heat the nodes off the rocks and the stuff can't re-grow.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yup, definitely looks like a sargassum species. I would definitely be interested in a piece if your offer still stands from the swap.

Since i put it in my tank its has grown over 4 inches one stalk and the rest have sprung roots.

Matt for seahorses this stuff would look like a kelp forrest properly planted. When i upgrade my refugium will be have a corner full of this stuff. It grows better then cheato.

Is there anyway to sex golder turbo snails or nerite snails i had 4 of each and now i have two of each the two nerite sleep next to eachother and the chestnut turbos hang out once in awhile. I have all the snails at night that look like nerite and some small turbos but no eggs strains just sacks. on rock