• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Minimalistic Display Tank

I recently upgraded my setup from a 45 gallon rimless to a 75 gallon tank. I have convinced my wife to let me reset up the 45 gallon I'm our dining as a nice display. I want to try to keep it simplistic with 2-3 nice LPS colonies and a really cool fish. What would everyone recommend?

There are some nice torches out there as well some goniopora that would add movement and beauty. Hammer also give you the same as the other 2

For fish you could try schooling fish...

Salted

NJRC Member
Few different color elegance corals and a gem tang pr powder brown tang
Gem came to my mind also but then 45g so no.

@Luandao1 while maybe not fish seasoned reefers would ooh and ahh over a school of cardinals could fit the bill nicely for that tank size. Add a couple of fire shrimp and you'd have a pretty good display there.

I once saw a picture of a huge branching teal/green Duncan with a school of Bengai Cardinals and I’ve always thought it was really cool

Trigger not recommended for that tank size. They also tend to be nippy fish.

You could look into wrasses, alot of color variation, you just gotta look into their husbandry.

horseplay

NJRC Member
My pygmy angels are always out and about. They follow me begging for food. It's perferct for that size tank. I would add a Royal Gramma.

I would definitely not put any angel fish because they can start to nip since day one .. or 6 months after
That’s a nice size you could easily add some tang as well

Could also make it a freshwater tank, if your looking for something more simplistic, and stock schooling fish and non co2 plants!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Basslets would work well in that size tank and are pretty fish. If you wanted to go high end, a candy basslet, but there are also caves, and swales basslets. Assesors are great fish and can be kept in groups but they are hard to find right now. When ORA was captive raising them we used to keep a bunch of them together.