• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Miscalculations

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I'm combining a 29cube and a 30g and moving the fish, rock, coral to a 75g. My first miss was thinking that the rock would take up space for water- yes and no- it will, but the 75 has to be up and running- so unless there's enough water in the tank first... I'll have to take water out later- water in the old tanks- when I remove the rock, I'll have to replace that water to keep the system going for the fish- I need to do a scape with the rocks first- don't want to put the fish through any more stress- so I need extra water
Equipment- yes, I can use the wavemakers and pumps in the 75, but I need them in the old tanks until I transfer- the only thing I don't have to worry about is lighting. electrical outlets/ supply- that too I will need all new- can't unplug anything- I'll now have extra of everything but lighting- currently watching the tank go from milky- to foggy- hoping to do the switch tomorrow- 2 tanks up for grabs soon

I don't understand. Why can't you set up the 75 and transfer everything over? You don't have enough water? Why do you need an extra of anything.?
I tried reading it over and over but can't make it out

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The rock will displace water and so will sand.
Make 40-50 gallons of new water for the tank at least or make it all 75g. Make sure salinity and temp are similar to old tank.
Move fish/coral into buckets/containers and then take out rock and setup in new tank.
Water from old tank can be used to top off the new or add to sump.
Once done transfer fish and coral into new tank.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I'm still dealing with cloudy water- there was a film on the glass- scrape it off and the water clouds up again- wonder if it's because I used the old salt that had crusted over in the bottom of the bucket- Holding off moving everything, I want to see what the scape looks like before moving the fish- another day doesn't matter these days- other than it being frustrating

cloudy water that doesn't go away is usually just a sign of a bacteria bloom, a UV would be the fastest way to fix it. Another way would be to add some of the established live rock from the other tanks and add something like doctor Tims to out compete the bacteria in the tank that is making it cloudy.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
cloudy water that doesn't go away is usually just a sign of a bacteria bloom, a UV would be the fastest way to fix it. Another way would be to add some of the established live rock from the other tanks and add something like doctor Tims to out compete the bacteria in the tank that is making it cloudy.
The water has cleared up, the residue/ film either came from the live sand or from the year old salt- should have used the new bucket- the tank is empty, other than the live sand, going to move the rock into the tank tomorrow- then fish and coral-will also add a bottle of Bio- Spira beforehand

Salted

NJRC Member
The water has cleared up, the residue/ film either came from the live sand or from the year old salt- should have used the new bucket- the tank is empty, other than the live sand, going to move the rock into the tank tomorrow- then fish and coral-will also add a bottle of Bio- Spira beforehand
If you want palys you can have them I have several at least. But I want them gone soon.