• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mishaps

Brian said:
Oh God no! I still remember looking at it..."Ohh, it looks so nice and velvety!"

LMAO I remember you coming home so excited about the red velvet algae that you were hoping would grow in our tank.

I can't believe you only posted one thing. We could fill up pages, lol.

I once remember having a mantis crawling on my hand when I was doing something in the mantis tank.

Brian said:
I have a bunch, but one that sticks out in my mind is when I saw red cyano in my bosses tank at work...thought it was cool looking algae...siphoned a bunch out of the tank and put it in mine. I gave myself cyano!!

LMAO I did the same thing only with Valonia / bubble algae!! I never did get rid of it.

A bit different mishap - ...the first time my clowns laid eggs I wasn't paying any close attention to the tank. So I never noticed them laying them. If you've ever seen eggs laid the first day they are bright bright orange in color. But I never noticed. Busy with work/honey-to-do list yada yada. Anyways after a day or two the eggs turn dark in color - so much so that it starts to look like ugly algae.

So what do I do - yes I get my algae scrapper out and proceed to wipe away my back wall. I clearly remember saying to my wife - if the fish go crazy eating this - I just made a big mistake. Yes needless to say the male clown wasn't happy and all the fish had a big time feast. ::) :-X

Also I am a black-card carrying member of the flood club. I've even overflowed a 55 gallon drum...D'oh!

I should also mention that Brizjuan was the guy I got my clowns from and he had an entirely different mishap - his entire 120 cracked. He got a call from his family while at work saying there was water leaking from the stand. That was the quickest "getting out of hobby" sale I had ever seen. We had plans to purchase very small juvi-clowns and watch them grow up. At the time was thinking of one of the "designer" clowns by ORA. Of course this happened and I felt bad/and wanted to help. The sale was for two "small clowns". jrwohler can attest that after I brought them home and placed them in my QT - I could tell these were not "juvi's". :)

Here's a prominent one that will forever stick with me:

I decide to make some RO water for a mini water change. I place the tubing in a 5 gallon bucket and turn on the TV in the bedroom. It was a hot summer day and the cold AC air was just amazing blasting my skin. . .

I fell asleep.

My (then) GF comes home and she goes play with the dog. She never uses the kitchen, so she didn't even go in there. Then sleep.

Fast forward a few hours (more like overnight)- and I wake up at 7:30 am with splish splashes, sounds like a little kid playing in a kiddie pool. I hear my GF screaming my name, I jump up and went OH, what happened? The dog is running around the entire kitchen, jumping around in the water. The whole condo has about an inch of water, about 500 square feet of it. Oh yeah, I also live on the 2nd floor. We clean up. All cleaned and washed towels, shirts, you name it, it went to work.

WHEW, that was the end of that.

NOT.

I come home that day, and my neighbor downstairs knocks on the door. He asks to come in since he knew I owned a fish tank, he looks around and goes, did you have a leak here today? I was like ummmm, no, it looks pretty dry to me, not that I know of, I just got home..... (*thank god I just put in Pergo floors earlier that year*)

He asks me to come down to look at his ceiling and yeah, it pretty much killed it where he needed to re-spackle, repaint and repaint some more. Because I felt sooooooo bad, I offered to help him paint and even helped him cleanup his kitchen where the water soaked in most. Then a few weeks later, he decided to remodel his kitchen and I helped him as well. Then I helped him install his sound system, running wires through his open ceiling, helped him mount his TV, helped him with his backsplash, helped him with his kitchen countertop, helped him with.......well, I guess you could say I deserved it. To this day, he still thinks it was condensation that built up between our units or a busted water pipe, or a clogged sewage drain..... that was what we had decided on, but me thinks we both really knew what happened.

The end.

So let me share my fish mishaps:

At the AqOB anniversary sale - they had this beautiful beautiful leopard wrasse. I was like number 4 on the list of people in the store and bill lange was ahead of me. He also wanted that l.wrasse and got it. So being next in line there was another l.wrasse - smaller - but I wanted to give it a go.

The mishap begins when i arrive at home and acclimate and it refuses any food. Fearing death I decided to chance releasing it into the display in the hopes that it will catch/eat live food.

Anyways - upon seeing this wrasse, my yellow coris wrasse proceeds to mercilessly hunt, drill and attack the wrasse. It tried to bury itself and in mid-motion it was attached and brought out of the sand by the coris wrasse. The poor fish lasted 48 hrs.

Oh and I am ashamed to say I've killed two Copperband butterfly fish. No matter how pretty they are I just won't go down that path ever again unless I have blackworms.

I've also killed 5 cardinalfish. They were in my QT and my sitter forgot about them. Sad 2 weeks of starvation. Note to self- never ever buy fish before going on vacation.

I've also killed a pearly jawfish. Note to self - when you hear fish pounding the cover in the QT - might not be a good idea to place in open display tank.

9 fish from the wild dead thanks to my pathetic husbandry skills.

concept3 said:
Here's a prominent one that will forever stick with me:

I decide to make some RO water for a mini water change. I place the tubing in a 5 gallon bucket and turn on the TV in the bedroom. It was a hot summer day and the cold AC air was just amazing blasting my skin. . .

I fell asleep.

My (then) GF comes home and she goes play with the dog. She never uses the kitchen, so she didn't even go in there. Then sleep.

Fast forward a few hours (more like overnight)- and I wake up at 7:30 am with splish splashes, sounds like a little kid playing in a kiddie pool. I hear my GF screaming my name, I jump up and went OH, what happened? The dog is running around the entire kitchen, jumping around in the water. The whole condo has about an inch of water, about 500 square feet of it. Oh yeah, I also live on the 2nd floor. We clean up. All cleaned and washed towels, shirts, you name it, it went to work.

WHEW, that was the end of that.

NOT.

I come home that day, and my neighbor downstairs knocks on the door. He asks to come in since he knew I owned a fish tank, he looks around and goes, did you have a leak here today? I was like ummmm, no, it looks pretty dry to me, not that I know of, I just got home..... (*thank god I just put in Pergo floors earlier that year*)

He asks me to come down to look at his ceiling and yeah, it pretty much killed it where he needed to re-spackle, repaint and repaint some more. Because I felt sooooooo bad, I offered to help him paint and even helped him cleanup his kitchen where the water soaked in most. Then a few weeks later, he decided to remodel his kitchen and I helped him as well. Then I helped him install his sound system, running wires through his open ceiling, helped him mount his TV, helped him with his backsplash, helped him with his kitchen countertop, helped him with.......well, I guess you could say I deserved it. To this day, he still thinks it was condensation that built up between our units or a busted water pipe, or a clogged sewage drain..... that was what we had decided on, but me thinks we both really knew what happened.

The end.

this post should be separated and stickied as a warning to all of us who are part of the flood club as to how bad it can get! ;D ;D yikes!!!

Hawkeye said:
At the AqOB anniversary sale - they had this beautiful beautiful leopard wrasse. I was like number 4 on the list of people in the store and bill lange was ahead of me. He also wanted that l.wrasse and got it. So being next in line there was another l.wrasse - smaller - but I wanted to give it a go.

The mishap begins when i arrive at home and acclimate and it refuses any food. Fearing death I decided to chance releasing it into the display in the hopes that it will catch/eat live food.

Anyways - upon seeing this wrasse, my yellow coris wrasse proceeds to mercilessly hunt, drill and attack the wrasse. It tried to bury itself and in mid-motion it was attached and brought out of the sand by the coris wrasse. The poor fish lasted 48 hrs.

Oh and I am ashamed to say I've killed two Copperband butterfly fish. No matter how pretty they are I just won't go down that path ever again unless I have blackworms.

Hey Phil, don't know what to feel more guilty about; the fact that my leopard is fat and happy along with my copperband, or the fact that I have killed way more than 9 fish in my life! :)

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
blange3 said:
Hawkeye said:

Hey Phil, don't know what to feel more guilty about; the fact that my leopard is fat and happy along with my copperband, or the fact that I have killed way more than 9 fish in my life! :)

Welcome back Bill!

Bob

blange3 said:
yes I know - I've seen your fat fish!!! lol. Would you like a yellow coris wrasse? muhhahahah.

Hawkeye said:
blange3 said:
yes I know - I've seen your fat fish!!! lol. Would you like a yellow coris wrasse? muhhahahah.

I love Yellow Coris and was thinking of getting one; now I know that's not a good idea thnks to you! ;)