• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mixed reef with angel fish

I keep seeing videos with more and more people with angel fish. Wander how many of you have this beautiful fish that most of us are scared to bring home!!
Thanks in advance

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I have a few corals with an adult emperor,softys and a goni frag and he doesn't bother anything.
My moorish idol every now and then will bite my leather but doesn't do damage.
Currently cycling my 125 to move my 75 into,then I'll be adding more coral.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I have a 75g with a Coral Beauty, dwarf ( pygmy) and a flamebacxk, but I have no sps, my angels all get along with each other and all the other fish and leave my corals alone

Thanks guys!!
I’m thinking of a flame angel and honestly my worries are about my acros and torches as I don’t think they will damage hammers and octospawn…

120 with a flame angel and bicolor. The only coral I had to move out were my acans. My Flame had taste for them. They don’t bother anything else
(torches, euphyilla, acros, zoas)
Yeah I’m definitely thinking about a flame angle wish I tried before and I remember having a torch not looking good after adding him and I freaked out!!
And honestly it could have been anything else because it didn’t get better after taking him out. That’s why I still feel like I should try it again!!!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have always had angels in our tanks and all of them have been mixed reefs. It all comes down to the invidivual angel. Some will pick, other will destroy corals and some don't even see it as food. Some species are more prone, and that is usually the guideline people go by. So pick your angel and just be ready to step in or have a good fish trap ready to go.

Yeah looks like if I pick wrong I will regret it!!!
We have always had angels in our tanks and all of them have been mixed reefs. It all comes down to the invidivual angel. Some will pick, other will destroy corals and some don't even see it as food. Some species are more prone, and that is usually the guideline people go by. So pick your angel and just be ready to step in or have a good fish trap ready to go.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Which angel are you thinking of? If you get captive bred you should be golden since they've never seen coral as a food source.

To add on to what Mike said, we currently have 3 dwarf angels in the 210 and 1 in the frag tank.