• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Molly Miller Blenny

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Saw one at a LFS- did some checking, some say it eats aiptasia, algae and cyano. Anyone have any experience with this fish- kind of bland- but so is a lawnmower, but seems better

DYIguy

NJRC Member
The more I read about this fish, the more intrigued I became. An omnivore- eats algae, aiptasia ( supposedly ) frozen food and pellets- even detritus. very hardy, non aggressive- you could have 2 in a tank ( can change sex), very common throughout the Caribbean- not that expensive either. Not a 'pretty' fish though- I had an algae problem in a tank and got a lawnmower blenny- now that is an ugly fish- and once the algae was gone it starved- wouldn't eat nori
So I went back the lfs and bought it- it's been in a tank for over 2 months- this store has a problem with cyano, the tank this fish was in was clean- I read it eats cyano too- sounds like the perfect fish in some ways- we'll see

Attachments

• molly.jpg
    molly.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 21

DYIguy

NJRC Member
So I bought 3 from a diver/ collector- added one to the DT with the larger one I got from the LFS and put the other 2 in the 13g- they're small- all is fine- the 2 in the DT ignore each other but eat together- the 2 in the 13g chase each other from time to time but are fine- all pick at rock/ algae- all are scooters, hop around the rock mostly- the 2 in the 13 g are/will be for sale or trade

DYIguy

NJRC Member
So now it's a fish to be careful of, I traded one to a fellow reefer and it has eaten his nems- I don't have any nems, but while I had it it didn't eat any aiptasia, only algae taste buds i guess

Salted

NJRC Member
I didn't notice any negative effects from mine the few weeks it was here. I have a bubble tip and 3 rock flowers nems.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I didn't notice any negative effects from mine the few weeks it was here. I have a bubble tip and 3 rock flowers nems.
It's funny ( not funny) how fish/ inverts behave differently in different tanks/ environments- the MM never even looked at aiptasia in my tank, but is most certainly the culprit that ate @Lovefish77 black widow and rock flower nems. I have an emerald crab in my 75- haven't seen it in over a month, but showed itself today- only picks at algae, some say they've eaten fish and had no impact on the bubble algae in a different tank some people swear that asterina stars multiply like crazy and eat zoas- I've had just a few in my tank for over 2 years- no population explosion and no missing zoas, and all damsels are nasty- well i have 4 different ones in my 75g and all get along- Fiji devil, pink, Springer and Talbot

Last edited: