• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Monthly Meeting F&Qs

Hey everyone, hope your having a nice President's Day weekend so far. I'm seeing next week's meeting is in Cherry Hill, which is only about a half hour from me. Got me thinking, and while I haven't approached the wife yet about going, I am wondering what one of these meetings is like. Do folks swap coral? Stories? Both? I read about local growlers, so having a couple brews with people that speak my language in coral would be fun.

I'm fairly new to the club, and while I started keeping marine aquariums in the 80s, it wasn't until the 90s that I really dove in. Kept a reef in some capacity ever since, through three house moves, and marriage with children (hearing echoes of Al Bundy). Now that I'm middle aged (ugh!) and more settled in, over the past couple of years I have really reinvested myself into this "hobby". Figured it's time for me to start sharing some of my experiences. While I have a number of friends from my high school and college years that are awesome to have a brew with, if I said zooxanthellae, they would probably say "God bless you". Starting to think about how I can help progress local reefers now.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Our meetings are more of a gathering of local reefers. Some will set up trades, some will bring frags to give away and we usually always have a raffle. The format is very loose and usually winds up being a bunch of reefers talking tanks and having a blast. I don't drink but there usually is beer and a lot of people do bring local beers or their favorite beer.

Thanks for the feedback. Although I've been keeping reefs for 20+ years (Yeah yeah yeah), I'm still somewhat new to high end acros and such, so equally looking forward to learn. Seeing a table like January's photo of the month is inspiring, and reinforces the need to learn more with fellow reefers. Always something to learn, like never place an echinata anywhere near a chalice. The echinata will blast the chalice overnight. ;) I'm sure there's a ton of stuff like that to share at the monthly meetings, etc.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
First off, welcome to NJRC. Glade you found us.

Our meeting are informal gatherings of a bunch of reef-geeks. All are welcome, but highly suggested that you RSVP, out of courtesy to the host. It's nice that they have an idea of who is coming.

It's a great place for prearranged frag swapping and picking up equipment and whatever. There is usually a raffle for frags, where you purchase tickets and place them in labeled cups of the corals you're interested in. At times free frags are handed out to those interested.

So you have a general idea; informal; food and drink; conversation; exchanges; and on rare occasion, club business!

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to check it out next weekend. And if everyone starts dressing up like their favorite animal, I'm out. Lol!! (That was hilarious - at lunch with my family and literally lol - my kids we're crowding over to check it out). Looking forward to it! I have some coral I don't know what to do with. Some frags and what not... so I could bring some for giveaway or trade, etc. - no stress though, of not this time, maybe next time. Thanks again and hope to meet a few of you reefers next weekend. I'll do the RSVP per procedures. - Charlie