• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Monti question

I just got my first Montipora, a beautiful pink one (thanks Raptor777) but don’t know enough about them
Was told low light let flow,, and I thought I had it in low enough light ( I’m good on low flow) and I’d swear it looks a smidge smaller , the color is good,, do the get smaller at night like a lot of corals do
Also should it be high up middle or down low in the water column
And is it ok to put behind a bigger rock to avoid light
This pic was when I hade it in sump

Attachments

• 4110C442-F043-49F3-8F8C-C913737A4816.jpeg
    4110C442-F043-49F3-8F8C-C913737A4816.jpeg
    835.2 KB · Views: 6
Low flow is definitely not good. SPS in general like and benefit from higher flows. Monti caps especially since detritus can settle on top.
As for light, I usually find that caps like medium to higher. There are some Monti's that do well under lower light as well. That said, if the previous owner had it in low light, putting it in high light right away could bleach it out. Lots of variables come into play. What type of lighting was it under originally?

As far as getting smaller/bigger. Montipora do not puff up like LPS tends to do

Low flow is definitely not good. SPS in general like and benefit from higher flows. Monti caps especially since detritus can settle on top.
As for light, I usually find that caps like medium to higher. There are some Monti's that do well under lower light as well. That said, if the previous owner had it in low light, putting it in high light right away could bleach it out. Lots of variables come into play. What type of lighting was it under originally?

As far as getting smaller/bigger. Montipora do not puff up like LPS tends to do
To add to jgraz (which I completely agree with). My personal experience has been flow is the biggest key. I have had success at different par/lumens and spectrum. To different degrees. But since I increased laminar flow across the Monti my monti’s have improved in color growth rate and general “pop”. Before adding more flow every night I would clean my monties with a turkey Baster and this did help. But adding the additional power heads was definitely a game changer.

To add to jgraz (which I completely agree with). My personal experience has been flow is the biggest key. I have had success at different par/lumens and spectrum. To different degrees. But since I increased laminar flow across the Monti my monti’s have improved in color growth rate and general “pop”. Before adding more flow every night I would clean my monties with a turkey Baster and this did help. But adding the additional power heads was definitely a game changer.

Thanks guys that helps a lot I would be upset if I killed it or harmed it in any way
It’s a great looking piece