• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

More Temperature questions

With the summer here my tanks temperature is really starting to climb....83.4F I have a few questions.

Do you guys have a glass canopy over your tanks?

Are there any cheap thermostats that can turn on a fan when WATER temperature reaches a preset temperature?

Where do you keep fans on the main display tank or in the sump?

On my tank I have a glass canopy and then I have the MH lighting, I did this because I has loosing a lot of water to evaporation. I have a small sump thats not covered and just placed a fan there but I'm wondering if this would improve the situation.

Thanks in advance

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The evaporation will help cool your water, I would lose the glass tops.
That's essentially what the fans do over a sump. It promotes evaporation.

I don't know of anything that would turn on a fan when the water temp. reaches a certain point (other than an Aquacontroller). You can buy a humidstat (sp?) to turn a fan on when the air temp reaches a certain point.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Temp controller (Ranco?) should do what you're looking for. They have 1 and 2 function controllers.

A low tech option is to just run the fan(s) 24/7 and if the tank cools to much the heaters will kick on.

Carlo

I've seem regular thermostats that turn a fan on when the air temperature reaches certain level, I'll prob use one of those.

Thanks

Does a fan blowing air on top of a sump really help? I know it depends on the surrounding air, but how many degrees are really dropped? My tank has not seen a temp below 81deg.

I got two 6" fans from Walmart that were $6 each. I think they were Hometrends brand that work great. I have room behind the tank where I pointed them into the back of the hood. Put them on the same timer the lights are on so they run about 12 hrs a day.

I just picked up two fans at Walmart on Saturday too. I got the Honeywell Super Turbo 3-Speed High Performance Table Fans.

http://www.kaz.com/kaz/store/product/e6f0d1ed94b2c308775bec109e59fb60/

I liked the fact that they were $9.95 each and I'd be able to mount them right over the sump on my wall board and adjust them straight down at the sump. I haven't installed them yet as I'm still running 1500 watts of heaters to keep the temperature up but I'll get around to it. :)

Carlo