• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Moving Tank Tommorrow !! - Can Bulkhead Gaskets be re-used?

Realized late in the planning of moving my tank that to be safe I should get new gaskets for my bulkheads. I had another thread open to determine the actual size of my bulkhead and it turns out to be 1 1/4" which appears to be not common. I live in Jackson and each store we inquired with does not have bulkheads in stock. So with time running out, my main question is can my existing gaskets be used? They were put in about 10 years and have not leaked a drop. Someone advised that as long as it's not cracked or brittle it should be ok, to put some Vaseline on them while transporting to help soften them up, then wipe off when ready to put back on.

It was also suggested that the big box stores sell rubber gasket sheet material and that I an cut my own. I was always cautious buying things that are not meant for tanks for fear of hurting the tank. Sounds like that would not be the case for this material.

I wish I could just leave the bulkheads in when moving the tank, but I have to remove them to get my tank out of the stand so that is not an option.

So what is this communities thoughts, do you think I'll be ok to re-use these gaskets? What would you do given tank has to move tomorrow? Thanks for your replies

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I’ve reused them before with no issue. Inspect the gasket, if it still soft and flexible with no defects yes. 10 years is a long time though, and I doubt that they still are.

Hope you figure it out brother it’s such a nice setup you have going on,, thanks again for the corals their beautiful,, good luck with everything and the move, your a good man

get new gaskets at home Depot. they got them in the plumbing section. the size that matches is actually for toilets or sinks or something. they are a couple bills each if I remember

If what mickey says fails, I'm pretty sure reefco and aquatic obsessions both sells bulkheads. If they don't have any and you don't mind a drive, give a call to something fishy in PA. They have plumbing supplies

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
If what mickey says fails, I'm pretty sure reefco and aquatic obsessions both sells bulkheads. If they don't have any and you don't mind a drive, give a call to something fishy in PA. They have plumbing supplies

I bought bulkheads from Aquatic Obsession in the past.