• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Moving to a different state..

Hey life has caught up and now I must make an adult decision. How would I move my 80g tank to Baltimore? What if it was Dallas? Am I better off selling off everything and starting up later?

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you are in love with the current setup, would sell off livestock and keep the equipment. You won't get what you paid for on the equipment. If you plan on setting up the tank right away, you would have the equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on how you feel about the tank. for me i wouldnt mind setting up a new one because i still have my starter tank. but if it was the fruition of years of labor/money and turned out the way i wanted it then i wouldnt really want to start over.

Are you moving into a house right away, could you move again quickly? Maybe your tank will be too big, or maybe too small for the new place. moving it to then sell it would be annoying, but it depends on how you feel about your setup, as others have said.

Hey life has caught up and now I must make an adult decision. How would I move my 80g tank to Baltimore? What if it was Dallas? Am I better off selling off everything and starting up later?

First, I would decide if its Baltimore or Dallas so to speak. Where ever you decide to go if its close enough you might be able to move everything and set back up rather quickly. If you are loving your system as is, then a short move would be no more stressfull then a tank swap with a bit more driving in between. But if planned properly, a move to a location as far as 3 or 4 hrs away could be pulled off pretty easily.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Dallas has one of largest reef clubs in America. I know DC has a club not sure about Balt. If we pick Dallas I'm sure Mark Levitson could hook you up.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Praveen, don't you have the option of moving and settling into your new place leaving the tank behind. Once you're settled in, make plently of water and go move the tank and residents.

depends on how you feel about the tank. for me i wouldnt mind setting up a new one because i still have my starter tank. but if it was the fruition of years of labor/money and turned out the way i wanted it then i wouldnt really want to start over.

Right now my tank is doing great so this kind of bothers me.

Are you moving into a house right away, could you move again quickly? Maybe your tank will be too big, or maybe too small for the new place. moving it to then sell it would be annoying, but it depends on how you feel about your setup, as others have said.

Honestly, if I go to Dallas, it would be for the long term, especially if I could convince the parents to come with, but that's a long shot. Best case scenario, yes worst- not for a year or so. Baltimore, definitely not.

First, I would decide if its Baltimore or Dallas so to speak. Where ever you decide to go if its close enough you might be able to move everything and set back up rather quickly. If you are loving your system as is, then a short move would be no more stressfull then a tank swap with a bit more driving in between. But if planned properly, a move to a location as far as 3 or 4 hrs away could be pulled off pretty easily.

At this point, I am fortunate enough to decide bt those two locations where my tank would be my only concern other than long term living- I don't want to settle down in Baltimore. I've visited both locations and I prefer Dallas. The main thing that's holding me back is family, friends, and my tank lol. I have more friends living in Baltimore than Dallas.

Dallas has one of largest reef clubs in America. I know DC has a club not sure about Balt. If we pick Dallas I'm sure Mark Levitson could hook you up.

Who's that?

Praveen, don't you have the option of moving and settling into your new place leaving the tank behind. Once you're settled in, make plently of water and go move the tank and residents.

I thought about doing this but how probable is this if I moved to Dallas?

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Right now my tank is doing great so this kind of bothers me.

At this point, I am fortunate enough to decide bt those two locations where my tank would be my only concern other than long term living- I don't want to settle down in Baltimore. I've visited both locations and I prefer Dallas. The main thing that's holding me back is family, friends, and my tank lol. I have more friends living in Baltimore than Dallas.

You have no problem making friends. Family and friends are a phone call away, and the tank should not be your concern you can always put another together because you have experience. The important thing to think about is what kind of opportunity are you giving up by not going to Dallas? You are young enough to take chance and live life. Nothing else will change, your family and friends will be there for you and you would never have to say "I shoulda, woulda, coulda ....."

You have no problem making friends. Family and friends are a phone call away, and the tank should not be your concern you can always put another together because you have experience. The important thing to think about is what kind of opportunity are you giving up by not going to Dallas? You are young enough to take chance and live life. Nothing else will change, your family and friends will be there for you and you would never have to say "I shoulda, woulda, coulda ....."

Thanks mike. The main things are identical. The differences are: I know more people in Baltimore, been there often, and it's closer to home. Dallas- no snow, which is awesome, I don't mind living there long term, and My family would consider moving there. I know I shouldn't make my tank a reason to move somewhere but I wanted to see if it was even a possibility.

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you wanted to do a move to Dallas with the tank, you can do it. You could have a close friend house your livestock back here and do the move. In Dallas, get the tank setup and running, have a good amount of saltwater on hand and kick start the cycle with Dr. Tim's. Then, get your livestock shipped.

And just pack it into a truck/movers? Am I better off buying a new tank so I don't need to worry about die off from the tank being dry

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would travel with the live rock with me. I would put it in coolers wrapped in wet paper towels or even wet newspaper (this is how several retailers ship it). At stops, I would moisten it with fresh saltwater. There should be minimal die off. For the sand, I would go with new. As far as the actual tank, I would just use what you have.

horseplay

NJRC Member
If I were you I would sell anything that's bulky. That's pretty much everything other than the controller. It seems you will not be settle down for a while. Why carry the luggage.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm barebottom now and never will use sand again. I wonder how bad the drive is. There's a lot to consider right now.