• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

MP-40 Gasket needed!

tylr9m482

NJRC Member
Does anyone here have an older model MP-40 dryside gasket for 3/4" glass? I recently bought a used MP-40 but it only came with the spacer used . for small glass thicknesses and is currently sliding off my tank when trying to mount it. I checked Ecotech's website and the only have gaskets available for the QD models. Happy to purchase/pick up if available.

Attachments

• IMG_6826.jpg
    IMG_6826.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6827 2.jpg
    IMG_6827 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Does anyone here have an older model MP-40 dryside gasket for 3/4" glass? I recently bought a used MP-40 but it only came with the spacer used . for small glass thicknesses and is currently sliding off my tank when trying to mount it. I checked Ecotech's website and the only have gaskets available for the QD models. Happy to purchase/pick up if available.
If I'm not mistaken I think there's no gaskets for the older model, I might be wrong.

tylr9m482

NJRC Member
@Juano908 I thought that might be the case as well but when I take the provided spacer off, I am left with just the bare magnet and there are no rubber pieces to help the pump hold onto the glass. I tried putting in on this way and sure enough it still slides down the glass.

Attachments

• IMG_6828.jpg
    IMG_6828.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3

tylr9m482

NJRC Member
@Hockeynut where did you get the tube and how did you get it to stick to the pump? If you can share any pics or details I'd appreciate it, I'm getting the feeling I am going to need to go a DIY route like this

tylr9m482

NJRC Member
@Hockeynut thanks for the info! I'll keep this as my DIY route if I can not find someone with an extra spacer that came with the MP40. I'm sure plenty of people must have them laying around! Just a matter of finding one!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have this one if you want to pick up in Port Monmouth. Its from a 2018 model.

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 5

tylr9m482

NJRC Member
@mikem thanks for the offer! Those are the small as I saw on the Ecotech website and it says they aren't compatible. I have the older generate pumps. Talked to ecotech and they said unfortunately they discontinued making parts for the older Gen like I have. So I'll keep on the look out if anyone has the spacer for the older model or maybe try a DIY solution. Thanks again!

erics210

NJRC Member
@mikem thanks for the offer! Those are the small as I saw on the Ecotech website and it says they aren't compatible. I have the older generate pumps. Talked to ecotech and they said unfortunately they discontinued making parts for the older Gen like I have. So I'll keep on the look out if anyone has the spacer for the older model or maybe try a DIY solution. Thanks again!
Check your kitchen drawer. Look for one of those round rubber things we use to open bottles back in the 70s and 80s. Trim to fit. BAMM
1614360829545.png
1614360923246.png

tylr9m482

NJRC Member
Just tried the rubber jar opener and the pump stayed on the 3/4", powered on and the wet side just shook until it fell into the sand. Thought it was weird so I took the pump over to my 75g and put the spacer to 3/8" and it did the same thing were the wetside shook until it came off the driver within 15 seconds. Of course the guy I bought it from on R2R isn't answering my messages, did I get dooped or am I missing something here? This is not something that I've ever had happen to past MP10s or 40s.

tylr9m482

NJRC Member
@Hockeynut yeah, i made sure it was lined up nice and tried moving it around a little bit. Giving the wet side a water/vinegar bath now. Going to give ti a good clean and then maybe start from a very low speed and ramp it up to see if that helps get it set right. Just frustrating to have multiple problem on a used pump like this after paying decent money for it! I always buy used to save some money and never ran into issues before. Maybe I've just been lucky! Last resort will be ordering a new wet side from Ecotech. Doesn't hurt to have a spare around anyway.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
First off I'd recommend not using vinegar to clean an MP. Might wish to check out this post:

Beware of Vinegar - The Pump Killer

It sure sounds like you'll need a new wetside. Is the wetside you currently have the old style or new style. If it has a blocked portion of the cage, it's old style. If it's ribbed all the way around the cage, it's the new style.

Old style Wetside:
1614377430912.png

New style wetside:
1614377480716.png

Note cage differences - old on the left, new on the right:

1614377544414.png

Old style, the ceramic bearing was problematic, especially if it's not installed properly. It has to fit into it's slot flush with the plastic part. Otherwise you'll have vibration problems.

Again, that said, it still sounds like the wetside has seen it's better days.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
There is no gasket per se. you might be exceeding the magnet in that unit. For 3/4 and up you may need to go to an mp 60

Last edited:

tylr9m482

NJRC Member
I think I've got it figured out, took the wet-side apart and the magnet wasn't tightened all the way. Working much better now without the vibration/shaking. Might still look to upgrade to the newer style wet side though. And still looking for a gasket. I've been assured by Ecotech that MP40s can run on 3/4 inch glass. I actually have another mp40 currently running on the 3/4 glass tank. Really not looking to jump up to the MP60.

And yes I am aware of the vinegar issues, I typically do a 50/50 or 25/75 ratio, vinegar to water to help dilute the issue and never leave them in too long.