• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

MRC-MR2 questions

I dont think Im skimming very well at all out of my skimmer. I bought it used to I know it has the older becketts but the skimmer wa in great shape. My tank has been up and running for a few months and I have no even come close to filling a 5gal bucket with skimmate yet. I ran the water level at 3-4" high in the first chamber like the website says for awhile, recently I have bumped it up so it is just at the quick disconnect. I am running it with a mag-18. I dont have a big load in my 180 but it has probably a donzen total fish all small, but I figured I would have been producing skimmate like crazy as I hear this from everyone. Maybe it a good thing meaning i have good water quality, im not sure... Im really thinking about upgrading to a gsm g4 right now

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
How fine are the bubbles in the bottom tube?? The water in that tube should be white with thousands of tiny bubbles. You might not be feeding it with a strong enough pump, check with MRC to see if a MAG 18 is strong enough.

Also did you try adjusting the air flow on the becketts??? I have an upgraded MR-2R and it does an amazing job.

mag 18 is what a few are using here and said they are having good results. The have messed with the air control right now it is fully open and it does not look like crazy amounts of air in there. If I turn it down it mellows out a lot and doesnt make enough air

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I would contact MRC directly. Its usually easiest via email, they always responded quckly and helped to correct any issues i had.

I had a exactly the same issue. The bottom line is the Mag-18 is not a pressure pump and the MR-2 is meant to run with a pressure pump, not a mag-18. Alot of people will tell you their skimmer works great, but what does that mean? I bought a Panworld PW-55 and had a whole new perspective on "works great". I still wanted to use my Mag-18 so I Modded the skimmer and made it a recirc. Now it works pretty good even with the Mag-18. Easiest solution, buy a Panworld PW-55, you'll instantly see a difference.

i agree with demo, that baby needs pressure and lots of it, i bought my mr3 used and it came with a mac 4, it was skimming but not like i was told it would, so i upgraded to a 55 and it really changed everything, also make sure the beckett is clean, a tiny peice of nori will really effect these things, i have the mak4 if your interested, this pump should be perfect for the mr-2