• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

MRC skimmer might replace Beckett for 1" Mazzei Injectors

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My MRC-2 skimmer needs to be adjusted all the time. Some times more than once a day. It is a pain in the butt. I am thinking of replacing the Beckett with 1" Mazzei Injector. The flow is 1020gph and my Blueline 55 is 1100 gph. I Have talk to many people with MRC skimmers that are having the same problem as me. Tim at MRC knows there something going on but can not pinpoint it.
I was Talking to Gary at Chapion Lighting about it and he thinks the 1" Mazzei Injector might fix the problem. He has sold lots of them on highend setups. Gary all so said they are the best Injectors he has seen and used.
So what do you think?
Thanks for any info,
Daniel

This could be the case.

Installing a 1" Mazzei Injector might be quite a retrofit, since it's rather long and has threaded fittings at each end. You'll also want to use unions at each end, so you can take the thing out for cleaning.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think the Beckett is the problem. So this would be a great test.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK I Put it in. The bubbles are very fine. The SCFH of air on the Beckett was 45 and on the Mazzei injector it is 25 SCFH of air. I had to close the Gate Valve quite a bit to bring the water up the column. I will see how it works out.

Glad to hear you got the thing installed!

You may need a more powerful pump. A 1" Mazzei injector, if I remember correctly, can easily handle a 900 gph pressure rated pump.

Still if you are getting fine consistand bubbles, it's working. See how that does before you replace the pump.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I got from a good club member. I will not give name but if he likes he can tell you who he is.
By the way I will let you know how it works out.
Daniel

Here is the Mazzei web site with information on them (offsite link) - http://www.mazzei.net/index.htm
Click on products and then injectors to get information on them. You'll have to figure out the exact part you want. Then a quick net search should give you a few vendors that carry them. You might also be able to purchase one from Mazzei directly, but I have never tried that.

BTW, these are not inexpensive. A 1" injector will cost between $70 and $110. Yea, it works just like everything else in the hobby. (grin) Good equipment is expensive.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
AS of right now It is skimming very very dry. My gate valve is all most closed. I think it might have work a hole lot better if the outlet of the skimmer was on top and not on the bottom. I will give it till the weekend.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
steve68, Have you had this problem with your MRC? It dose seem like alot of MRC owners are have this kind of problems. If you call MRC and talk to Tim he will tell you that no one has problems with the skimmers so it must be you.

I have no problems now,i did some upgrades,12 inch tube extension, better pump, dual Beckett's made my own air intake & my U tube mod to get more bubbles in the neck.I found my sweet spot on the skimmer if i do anything it's just a little more air or a little less air. the skimmer for me works great, i run my water level really high & my bubbles really small so it does not overflow.
here is some info that might be abble to help u out if u want to go back to a beckett.
http://steve68.com/other.htm

http://steve68.com/beckett_upgrade.htm

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have done the U tube mod about a year ago. I run my water level just about 2" below the neck of the skimmer.