• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mud Refugium Assistance

Alright so I just ordered up 5 red mangroves and some refugium mud... I did all the research I could and would like to know if anyone who has tried this or is currently running a mud refugium with mangroves has any advice for me... basically I am looking to plant the roots in 3-4 inches of miracle mud and use styrofoam(sp) to hold them in place... Is it really safe to put styrofoam in my tank? Does anyone have any other ideas as to keep them up while i wait for them to establish their roots... I am also trying to decide on a bulb that gives them the perfect amount of lighting so any input there would be great...

Thanks in advance

Brian

I made a refugium out of an AC110. I put mineral mud at the bottom, enough to cover the roots. I didn't put any styrofoam in, I'm still not sure why you would want to do that. One piece of advice that I can give you is to watch your magnesium levels. Mine dropped from the mangroves. I am using a flood light bulb I think. They are growing pretty darn fast and I have no nitrates.

The purpose of the styrofoam is to hold up the mangrove stems out of the water... Just cut a rectangular peice of foam and put holes in it and slide the mangrove through so it stays in place and does not fall over... As I said this would be until the roots became established and there was no longer a need to prop them up..

I use mud in mine. I have chaeto in my fuge as well as 2 mangroves. I use a 12inch current fixture over mine. They seem to be doing fine. I got pretty nice new leaves on mine. Really don't know what good they do for my tank, I just think they look pretty cool.