• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Muriatic or bleach? Semi-emergency upgrade.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
The 10 year, no water change tank is undergoing an upgrade.
Upping it to a 90 cube and adding contents of a second tank to it.
Currently I have about 40-50 pounds of good rock in tanks, most of its been there for 5 years or longer.

I need to add another 30 pounds or so of rock saved from previous tanks - dried algae, life, etc... standard stuff.

I have to get these supplemental rocks prepped as fast as possible as this is a semi-emergency.
As such, they wont be going through a full cycle before being added to the tank.
They will cycle in tank with the existing 50 pounds of rock.

I have both muriatic acid and bleach.
Would like opinions on the fastest way to clean these rocks and get them into a thriving tank with minimal disruption.

This one has be stumped and debating, any advice or experience appreciated.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have become an expert at cleaning rocks.
My vote is also muriatic acid. I have never used bleach.

Bot587

NJRC Member
Just chiming in with the others... Muriatic Acid to get the rocks clean.

Muriatic Acid is essentially Hydrochloric Acid (HCl)...
-as a strong acid, you can use it to clean the rocks, proceed to dilute with water and utilize a reef safe pH increaser to neutralize the acid (or baking soda).

Make sure to use gloves and rotate the rocks (both during cleaning and neutralization - no air bubbles....).

People use vinegar as well (acetic acid), however acetic acid is a weak acid.

Why I don't suggest bleach:
When I use bleach (sodium hypochlorite), I tend to wash 5-10 times. The reason is in water the molecule that is oxidizing / cleaning, is chlorine. Chlorine will exit the water based on using a dechlorinator/free radical reaction with light. If the rock is extremely porous sometimes the chlorine is held in the rock as chloramine and can release later (rare).

Muriatic acid for the win. It starts working immediately and kills everything fast. Then just neutralize with a baking soda mixture and rinse.