• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mushroom foot cuttings/propagation

erics210

NJRC Member
2 weeks for the pink Stripper Lips Discosoma.
4 days for the 2 Sunkist Bounce Mushrooms. Looking good

IMG_20210215_102452941.jpg

erics210

NJRC Member
Looks like the tips of the hammer are bigger than the mushrooms little piece.
Eric, it is partially the angles, and partially the coloration that you are seeing.
The slivers I am cutting are not huge, as this was an experiment I have heard about.
The 3 shrooms(1 pink stripper lips, and 2 sunkist bounce) are about the size of eraser heads at this point.
But with anything, can grow overtime.

In essence, this is just like the mother mushroom, leaving a piece of her foot via pedal laceration propagation.
My goal was NOT to have two equal halves, but rather a expedited baby from the mother.
I have had several high end mushrooms get larger and larger with no babies. If I were to have tried this a couple years ago, maybe I have 10-15 babies by now, which would have all grown.

You may ask, why not just chop in half. I have, and with the jawbreakers. Lost both sides. It is hit or miss and with several hundred dollars at risk, not a gamble I want to take.

Eric, it is partially the angles, and partially the coloration that you are seeing.
The slivers I am cutting are not huge, as this was an experiment I have heard about.
The 3 shrooms(1 pink stripper lips, and 2 sunkist bounce) are about the size of eraser heads at this point.
But with anything, can grow overtime.

In essence, this is just like the mother mushroom, leaving a piece of her foot via pedal laceration propagation.
My goal was NOT to have two equal halves, but rather a expedited baby from the mother.
I have had several high end mushrooms get larger and larger with no babies. If I were to have tried this a couple years ago, maybe I have 10-15 babies by now, which would have all grown.

You may ask, why not just chop in half. I have, and with the jawbreakers. Lost both sides. It is hit or miss and with several hundred dollars at risk, not a gamble I want to take.
Thanks Eric

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
This is interesting. I have a number of the gonzo goldens, yeah, they're a bit pricey but they're growing like weeds in my pest tank.
I may take a couple (not the bouncies) and try some cuttings.
I may even try a quick blend and pour it into a container filled with rubble.

radiata

NJRC Member
My Google search for "Gonzo Goldens" comes up with links for Golden Retrievers! Even with humanity's current expertise with DNA, I can't imagine a decent Golden Retriever coming out of a blender!

I've always wanted to try the blender method just to see if it works in my hands. Don't want to do it with a mushroom I would not like to accidentally spread all over the tank but also don't want to potentially sacrifice a nicer one. So back to 'someday' haha