• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mushroom foot cuttings/propagation

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I will have to try this, the only thing is they will start out really small and a long grow out before they look like anything.
I have always cut them right in half and have never lost even one. I don’t know why there would be any difference in mushroom types. Half the mouth is what I was taught. I’ll have to cut one of my bounce or a jawbreaker in half and see how it goes.

Last edited:

erics210

NJRC Member
I will have to try this, the only thing is they will start out really small and a long grow out before they look like anything.
I have always cut them right in half and have never lost even one. I don’t know why there would be any difference in mushroom types. Half the mouth is what I was taught. I’ll have to cut one of my bounce or a jawbreaker in half and see how it goes.
I warn against doing it to Jawbreakers. have chopped anemone and many different mushrooms in half and rarely lose any.
BUT did it 2x with Jawbreakers and BOTH times all 4 halves melted away.
Not sure why?

erics210

NJRC Member
Since my Pink Stripper Lips did so well, tried another piece of foot yesterday. Glued to the same rock so I can track progress.

Also wanted to try the foot cutting with my jawbreakers.
So sliced 2 small slivers off of 2 mamas not in this picture. These other 2 are small but growing out.
Screenshot_20210223-103634.png

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I warn against doing it to Jawbreakers. have chopped anemone and many different mushrooms in half and rarely lose any.
BUT did it 2x with Jawbreakers and BOTH times all 4 halves melted away.
Not sure why?
Do you dip in iodine after cut?
Also did you make sure there was a piece of foot on each piece?

erics210

NJRC Member
Do you dip in iodine after cut?
Also did you make sure there was a piece of foot on each piece?
yes and yes.
Like I said, have done a ton of others. JBs just dont like being hacked. They are the quickest to pop with any changes, or just shrivel up and melt. They are so awesome!

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
yes and yes.
Like I said, have done a ton of others. JBs just dont like being hacked. They are the quickest to pop with any changes, or just shrivel up and melt. They are so awesome!
Lol your killing me, now I have to try. You don’t understand I love a challenge.
so I have to give it a go. Still kinda small about 1-1/4” wonder if I should wait till a bit bigger.

erics210

NJRC Member
So. About a month ago I sliced super small slivers of foot off a pink Stripper Lip mushroom and a sunkist bounce.
So here they are now. Mama has the arrow. The 3 circled are original cuttings. The square was just done last week.
Second pic is just a better pic of the 2 Sunkist bounce.
Looking good.
So I guess if your mama doesn't spot out babies like some...chop her foot! LoL

I did try with a itsy bitsy sliver of jawbreaker but it wasn't attached and was lost in the frag tank.
So if your sliver can be attached. Waaay better.
Screenshot_20210319-092057.png
IMG_20210319_091353307.jpg

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
That same week I cut a bounce in half both halves healed completely. I also cut a orange mushroom in half (don’t know the name) also healed completely. I’ll try and get a couple pics tonight.
Didn’t do the jawbreaker I wanted to wait till it got a bit bigger.