• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My 120 at 2yrs old

I switched on the pump to my 120g 2 years ago tomorrow. Just thought I'd post a few pics that I took today. I was using the Zeovit system with limited success. I lost a few SPS to RTN, but a several survived and are doing better. On a better note, all my Hair Algae is gone.

FTS
170_29_08_08_3_27_41.JPG

Right Side
170_29_08_08_3_26_40.JPG

Left Side
170_29_08_08_3_24_54.JPG

thanks for the update. My first meeting was at your place and the tank is beautiful - so is the workmanship on the tank stand/cabinet!

Congratulations on the 2 year mark. The tank is gorgeous.

Nice tank. Any macro shots?

btw, how did you took care of your hairy algae problem, i'm struggling here.

thanks,
-Sam

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Beautiful tank and HANDMADE piece of furniture, Mike. Congrats on the great progress over the past 2 years as well as getting rid of your HA.

Thanks everyone.

I tried everything to get rid of the Hair Algea. I tried reduced lighting, PO4 reactor, UV, nothing worked. Then I stumbled on a thread on RC about a product from Fauna Marin called Ultra AlgaeX. It works on all kinds of algea, not bacteria, so it won't help with Cyano. You have to use it per the directions and have a fairly close measurement of the net volume of your system. I'm reluctant to add chemical to my system, but I just hated looking at that algea. Using this product, the algea almost falls off the rock. It's amazing. It worked for me, but there are some threads on RC were it didn't work as well for others. Here's some info on it:

1.) Dosing

Dose in the evening after the lights are out, the photosynthestics of the algae will not work during the night so the algae X will better work

10 ml Algae X of 200L Water every 2 days
DO NOT OVERDOSE AND CALCULATE THE LITRES EXACTLY !!!!
Dose every 2 days until the algae has gone but not more than 21 days at a time

Important !

lighting interval max 6 hours/day
Blue light can be on for 10 hours
Make sure you Heavily skim!!
No water change or Dosing of any Trace Elements during treatment
No Ozone , Carbon , Zeolith or Absorber during Treatment

3.) When to use Algae X

Algae X works against every Algae ( not against bacterias !!! )
o Derbesia, and other feather algae
o Bubble and Goldalgeas, Halimeda calcerous algae's
o Caulerpa
o Bryopsis Algea need longer treatment
Dinoflagellates (brown pest )

If Dinoflegalletes comes back after a few days then dose again for some days until all Dinos have gone

It does not work against Cyanobacteria !

4.) Problems

If you dose correctly the product is harmless against all corals and other invertebrates Algea X has been tested for 10 years without negative effect

Redox potential will fall slightly

Sea Urchin and Clams can be harmed after longer use or overdosing

Caulerpas in Mud Filter or Refugium can be harmed also. Remove it.

To much die back of algae can send back the poison which is in the algae so please remove all algae by hand if its possible

The water can become a little bit cloudy

Tridacna clams can also harmed if you treat against dinoflagellates
Corals Polyps may close for a few days

momof6kids

NJRC Member
The tank is looking better than ever. It looks so green. :eek: Beautiful colors. Congratulations on beating the hair algae. Now if they would just make something that worked with majanos. :(

The hairy algae is been driving me nuts for the past 4 month, near to shutting down the tank.

Thanks for all the detail. I just got some lettuce nudi from the invert group buy, if it doesn't work out i'll try the algae-X.

thanks,
-Sam

samksy said:
I just got some lettuce nudi from the invert group buy..

I tried that too. Sea Hares as well. Neither worked for me. Good luck. If you go with AlgeaX and you have questions, LMK.