• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My 29g Salwater conversion

Well as I posted before my Cichlid tank got fried from a broken heater. So I just couldn't resist to setup a new tank. It started out going to be a FOWLR, but it's too hard to resist a reef tank. I tranfered some coral from my pico, and bought a few.

So this it it.

It is an eclipse hood, only 1/2 though removed the lighting 1/2 and I'm using Nova Extreme T5
Magnum 350
Koralia 1
Natures Ocean Aragonite Black Beach Live sand
Nutri-Seawater
Awesome Rock from Billr98's 450

Things I am considering:
HOB Skimmer
Overflow box to a Fuge with Skimmer

Need some opinions

From AO:
Mimic Puffer Filefish
Clownfish
Blood Red Shrimp

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

Wow, that's a really nice setup. I like the black sand. I know you don't have one but Diamond Goby's really look good against the black sand.

chase33 said:
Wow, that's a really nice setup. I like the black sand. I know you don't have one but Diamond Goby's really look good against the black sand.

Thanks !

I'll have to check that out .  Hey Will if your reading this, order me one for October 2nd  ha,ha,ha  ;D

Looks great. Is that mimic reef safe ... beautiful fish.
I almost wish I had gone with the black sand. I like your solution for T5s.

Do you have room in the cabinate for a sump? How about a HOB fuge is there room?

JRWOHLER said:
Looks great. Is that mimic reef safe ... beautiful fish.
I almost wish I had gone with the black sand. I like your solution for T5s.

Do you have room in the cabinate for a sump? How about a HOB fuge is there room?

Thanks, I have been tossing the idea around about the sump. What I believe I will need is an overflow box , since the tank is not drilled, to flow into a sump.

I cannot help with the overflow...mine is part of the tank and it is driving me crazy ::) lots of others know what they are talking about though so good luck give us some more pics as you go.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Our overflow box uses an aqualifter to keep air out of the "tube" to ensure that the box doesn't fail. It works great... until the aqualifter fails. We always have an extra handy.

Re: My 29g Saltwater conversion

Thanks everyone ! I feel bad about losing the Cichlids, but I like this setup much better ;D . I have been told conflicting opinions on whether or not to setup up a fuge/sump. I have been told by 2 reputable people, that I really don't need one. Being just 29g and if I keep up with water changes I should be ok. If I were to setup a fuge/sump I only have room for maybe 10-13g and from what I was told it wouldn't even be worth it.

I like the setup. was looking to go with black sand but no LFS around me had the nature ocean bio activ live black beach sand. oh well. any new pics/updates?

is there anyone following this thread that has had black sand long term? maybe they can chime in with the longevity of the asthetic.... no argueing though, it is a striking look

REEFLECTIONS said:
is there anyone following this thread that has had black sand long term? maybe they can chime in with the longevity of the asthetic.... no argueing though, it is a striking look

i've had it since black friday...is that long term? ;D

Here's a recent pic. The tanks been running for about 4 months now . Funny thing about the black sand, it has mettalic particles in it !!! My mag float picks up the sand on the magnet if I get to close to sand. I questioned there tech support and got the " I'll have someone get back to you " They never did ! I've got to call them again see what's up with that.

IMG_0892.jpg

it's common, some sort of iron or something, i think i read that on hawks thread, they say it's safe, i would just be careful with getting it on the magfloat cause could it scratch the glass ???