• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My 33g Ric Cube

I've seen a lot of monster sized tanks here on NJRC ..but I don't have one of those. Yet anyway. But I do have this little guy that I picked up at the Petco $1/g sale in 2006 supposedly (ehmmm) to use as a QT tank. Amazingly enough it sat empty for months and then I agreed to adopt some fish and phosphate laden rock from a friend who had to move them out of his basement.
It was a temporary move (ehmmm). They were going to stay in the cube ..on my floor at the time..in QT and then I was going to move them into my 75g reef.
It didn't quite work out as I'd planned...I tripped over the tank one time too many, couldn't open my filing cabinet drawers all the way and by then my 75 had no room for them anyway.
I chose to add a 20g long as a sump/fuge and had to make a stand to accommodate the fuge & tank.
Here is a quick history in pics..ok, there are probaby going to be too many pics but this happened almost a year ago...
IM000607_450x600.jpg

IM000617_800x600.jpg

IM000624_800x600.jpg

To be continued

That is the biggest tease, evvvvvvvvveeeeerrrrrrrrr.

You know I'm trying to do my 29gallon Bio-cube as a Ricordea tank and when I saw the title of this thread I couldn't click fast enough...... com'on.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great work ... for what we can see of it! C'mon! Where's the rest?!

That is one awesome looking stand, Kathy. C'mon now, you can't just get up and leave without showing us the rest of the pictures. They have got to be somewhere. ;D

---
Wendy

Sorry about that guys..my eyes were rolling into the back of my head as I was typing last night..and I must have kept jumping the page in Photobucket (there's 35 of 'em) that had the next group of pics..

Without further delay..
IM000628.jpg

I then made the canopy in 2 pieces so that I could easily remove it..you'll see how the light hangs through it from the ceiling. What do ballasts have to weigh so much?
P7210013.jpg

The color is 'off' in this pic (like most of my pics..sorry Phyl!)
P7210001.jpg

Here you can see where the canopy 'splits'..and yes, I didn't fill those screw holes in..in my defense they are the ONLY ones on the stand where I cheaped out..well aside from the grain in the wrong direction on the main door...
P7210011.jpg

Here's what the mesh cover looked like when I first put it on. It's changed as I took off the SCWD and spraybar & added a seas swirl instead
P3080017_640x480.jpg

...and finally some of the people who live in the tank...

Oddly enough the RBTA came to me from someone here on NJRC..not sure who as a friend picked him up for me. So..whoever he orginally came from Thank you!! He'd oing great, has gotten huge and is loving the clown pair I recently added. (pics maybe tomorrow on them...)
Again the coloring is off..
PA280064.jpg

I love this guy. He always looks so happy!
P2020003.jpg

My CBS
P9300127.jpg

I took about 600 pics too get the color on these right. Woo-Hoo!!
PB010136.jpg

And some of the rics
PA280041_01.jpg

PA280010.jpg

Thanks for looking..will add more when I can!

Great use of space. I would have never thought about designing a canopy like that. I would have plopped the tank in the center of the stand and have wasted space on both sides of the tank.

Very nice.

Erik..the space was all designed around my desire to have a larger sump (it's 20G) under the tank..and I didn't want to have to look at the wires nor have them under the tank...you know that whole mother of invention concept :)

Thanks Wendy It's a fun tank to have!

I realized I didn't mention the skimmer..it's there, along with 7g ato system. The MCR2 skimmer is actually behind the wall the tank is against (in the closet). Unfortunately the chiller is sitting on the floor next to me. One of these days I'll move that into the closet too.

That's awesome Kathy. I can't wait to get mine up and running. I'm going to let my tank cycle for as long as I can stand it.

I love that stand. Great build.

Thanks Ed! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it Mike!
I got some new rics in tonight..hope to have some new pics up tomorrow:)

More pics of some recent additions...

2 new rainbow rics I picked up at a LFS on Long Island. Got there just after the shipment was unpacked.
PC190101.jpg

Wow..colorful yuma and orange ric from a trade with another reefer. The multicolored ric in the back came from a GB from Sealife done on Manhattan Reefs.
PC210026.jpg

The next 2 pics are of a sweet yuma and a two tone green ric I picked up at Aquatic Obsessions..thanks Will!!
PC210008.jpg

PC210014.jpg

I'll get up a FTS one of these days...thanks for looking!

Really great looking tank - and I really think the stand/canopy looks superb. I didn't even notice the grain or the screw holes until you mentioned it. Even then you can hardly tell...I mean the rics are a real beauty.

I was in melville on friday - and had the unfortunate circumstance of being behind two tractor trailers that had an accident on the lie by new hyde park...all the lanes closed eastbound except the hov lane. Fun!