• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My "deliberate" trip to Tropiquarium

Hello again,

Hopefully you're not all sick of me yet. :-[

I wanted to share my trip to Tropiquarium with you all. I've been there many, many times, even recently, when I was helping my GF with her freshwater setup. But I've never walked in "deliberately" looking at their saltwater livestock because I just never thought I'd be able to "keep" certain animals.

Welllllllll - someone should have warned me and told me to bring a bib because by the time I was done looking I had a steady stream of drool running out of my open mouth parts. ;D

They had just gotten a delivery and were still unpacking, and boy oh boy what an assortment of fish alone! How can anyone choose?

When I checked out their corals (on my hands and knees) I felt utterly overwhelmed. What beauty! What grace!! What incredible, undescribable colors!!!

And here I was thinking I'm getting closer and closer to putting together my setup, when I realized the HARDEST thing will be deciding what to eventually, and ever so slowly and carefully stock it with. :eek:

Did anyone else go through some adrenaline rushes? I walked out of there on cloud nine, and with too many emotions to describe.

Thanks for reading my little experience.

---
Wendy

I don't covet shoes or try to sneak expensive handbags w/o my husband knowing... it's fish & corals for me LOL

Welcome to the addiction! Soon you'll realize that everything you want won't fit or work in one tank... and then comes the next ;)

Rich, is that a bad thing or a good thing? :eek:

Candi, I can relate 100% (even though my tank is far from running). But I have other hobbies, like my birds, dogs and roses, (well - kids and husband aren't really a hobby so I left them out), and I like nothing more than to do research and learn before I bring any creature into the home so that I can offer them the best possible environment.

One question: Is "being hooked" the same as being "obsessed"? I'm only asking because I'm often accused of being "obsessed".

---
Wendy

Tropiquarium is a great store and they are very helpful there but I'd highly suggest against buying livestock from them whenever you're ready to, only because of their prices. They do run some decent specials from time to time but you really need to get lucky on timing with them.

As far as fish go, the prices and reviews for Nyaquatics.com look very nice ($6.00 shipping just can't be beat)

As far as corals, the guys/gals here are very helpful and always looking to let some frags go for very very cheap

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Local fish stores are a great place to shop for fish... in spite of their "higher than online" pricing. It is often well worth the added expense to be able to actually look at, watch and feed the animal you're about to bring home to your tank.

Comparing their pricing to other LFS, their pricing is quite reasonable (I've seen better and I've seen worse, but they're right in the middle).

I've purchased many fish from Trop. Some of my first purchases are still swimming happily in my tank 3 years later. I wouldn't think twice about buying healthy livestock from them.

I've come so close to buying one of those $200 acans at the Trop.

One of these days I'll come to my senses and take up a less expensive hobby... like antique car collecting.

trop is great, wednesday and thursdays are their normal days of deliveries so those are the best days to go. The prices are high but they've got some of the best quality fish. If you've just spent houndreds maybe thousands on your setup why buy the cheap fish? Sometimes if you buy a lot they'll cut ya some slack depending on how their days been.

In reefing hooked and obsessed are synonymous IMHO! ;D

Hi, my name is Bill, I'm a reefaholic!

When you start the tank, remember to go slow. Try to decide what your focus will be, and I'm sure that some of us will be willing to hook you up with reasonable and sometimes even free frags to get started with.

Save the big pieces of eye candy for when the tank is more mature. You wouldn't take on a Hyacinth Macaw or a Palm Cockatoo as your first bird, would you? ;)

Not all of Trops prices are high. Some are very much reasonable. I believe I paid $20 for my sixline wrasse. Considering that I would have paid close to that, including shipping, at most online stores, I was happy that I got to pick it out myself and take it home and not have to wait for it and worry about how it would arrive.

However, some of their prices are extreemly high, so you do have to be aware. I couldn't see myself paying $499 for a seahorse no matter how nice it was.

Make sure you join there frequent buyers program. It's free to join.

Jack

I was there last night and here's what I got

$25 after NJRC discount

100_0567.jpg

And this $28 after $25 gift card and NJRC discount.... You have to know what your buying some price aren't that bad after you get the discount.

100_0575.jpg

100_0568.jpg

The clam was marked $49.99 I didn't figure how much of a discount, I couldn't decide on which to get so I just picked the clam and went to the register, I was in shock when she told me it was $25 so I asked if I could go back and get the fish... Plus I forgot I had the $25 gift card so it worked out great.

Thank you all.

And the pictures made my mouth water once again. :-[

Yep, I must be hooked.

I saw some Six Line Wrasses there today and I believe they were around $20.00. Of course I have no idea (yet) as to what's considered reasonable and what's not, but I'm here to learn. :)

I also saw some coral for over $400. :eek:

Just having seen all the beautiful animals was certainly worth the 20 minute ride. ;D

---
Wendy

JerseyWendy said:
Just having seen all the beautiful animals was certainly worth the 20 minute ride. ;D

You call that a road trip? You've got a way to go before you're hooked ;) I used to travel from Belmar out to East Stroudsburg, PA to an awesome pet shop out there. I can't remember the name but does anyone known if it's still there?

And Trop. If you're listening. My back is killing me. Next move make those tanks about three feet higher.

GregW said:
JerseyWendy said:

You call that a road trip? You've got a way to go before you're hooked ;) I used to travel from Belmar out to East Stroudsburg, PA to an awesome pet shop out there. I can't remember the name but does anyone known if it's still there?

East Stroudsburg? Hmmm. I'd LOVE to know what the place is called because I believe I'll be making numerous trips up there come summer since my son's been accepted to ESU. ;D

I've got a niece in Marlton, and ILC is located there, right? I'll be paying them a visit when the time comes to add any livestock.

And today - if possible - I'll take a ride to Aquatic Obsessions. :)

---
Wendy