• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My ELOS 200XL Build Journey: From Concept to Creation

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Hey fellow hobbyists,

I'm excited to share the progress of my ELOS 200XL build, a project that has been in the making for a while now. This tank has been a canvas for my creativity, a vessel for my love of aquatic life, and a challenge that I've eagerly taken on. Let me walk you through the steps I've taken and the decisions I've made in bringing this masterpiece to life!

**Tank Setup: **

Tank: ELOS 200XL Dimond Line
78.7x31.5x23.6 (LxDxH)
Capacity: 245gallons

*Sump*
Bashsea custom SS series
Capacity: 60gallons

Total water volume 300 gallons

**Equipment: **

- Lighting: 3x Neptune Sky’s

- Filtration: Red Sea Skimmer900

- Heater: 800w titanium

- Wave Maker/: 2xMaxspect 350

- Controller: Neptune Apex

-Return Pump: Ecotech L2

**Aquascape: **

I decided to go for a naturalistic aquascape, drawing inspiration from breathtaking underwater landscapes. Utilizing a combination of live rock, substrate, and carefully selected arches, I've aimed to create an environment that mimics the beauty and complexity of the ocean.

Fish:

• Blackcap Basslet
  • Pygmy Wrasse
  • Six Line Wrasse
  • Purple Tang
  • Yellow Tang
  • Mandarin Dragonet
  • Midas Blenny
  • 4x Clownfish

**Maintenance Routine: **

I've established a consistent maintenance routine to ensure the health and longevity of my tank's inhabitants. Regular water testing, water changes, and equipment maintenance are crucial parts of my schedule. I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions you might have to help streamline this process.

**Challenges Faced: **

While this journey has been incredibly rewarding, it hasn't been without its challenges.

One of the first challenges faced was the size of the build. It took about five of us to move and set the tank then another three to move it in place. I added black vinyl to the back to avoid any light bleeding. The next step was plumbing was a bit of a mission, but I was able to use orange piping to match the sump and set up the Ecotech L2

I'll be sure to update this thread as my ELOS 200XL build continues to evolve. Your feedback, ideas, and insights are more than welcome as I continue to refine and improve my setup. Let's keep the discussion going!

Happy reefing!

Follow along my Instagram page!

Bandito Aquatics

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Love it, I actually like the return setup better than our tank. Can't wait to follow along and I think you can beef up that fish stocking list.
That’s the plan for this weekend being that it’s my birthday on Monday I’m hoping to stock up :)

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Looks great! What your stock wish list for fish and coral?
For fish I want to add two more tangs as well as a mystery wrasse a yellow wrasse some Anthies as for corals I’m going to feel it out I have a good amount of mushroom and softie but definitely want to add a chubby acantho

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Slight Update: its been a busy week picked up some fish from NY Aquatics
picked up

Mystery Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
Sailfin Tang
Lyretail Anthias- Sadly this one did not make it it became a snack for my eel
Also picked up a
Mimic Tang
Doctorfish Tang

Eel goby
4 pack of ecopods from algeabarn

will update with Photos later on

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Tank update: My aquatic crew is thriving, and I've been coral-crazy lately! But here's the reel challenge: I'm running out of spacein the sand bed faster than a fish at feeding time! Still on my to-do list: getting a lid and figuring out how to tackle the algae down below. My arms just aren't 'fin-tastic' enough for the job! Any tips?

IMG_6670.jpeg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member

This is whom we used for a lid and highly recommend, doesn't look like they have your tank as a stock one, but I would reach out an ask.

We use a flipper scraper but every week or so we just clean it manually

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Did you start with live rock or dead? You filled up that tank might quick.
I started it, with mostly dead dry rock, except for about 50 pounds of live rock
I had sitting in the sump. It’s not really full. It’s just I need to place some of the Corals in their final spots but I’m waiting on clear quarter inch pipe so I can make a couple torch stands

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member

This is whom we used for a lid and highly recommend, doesn't look like they have your tank as a stock one, but I would reach out an ask.

We use a flipper scraper but every week or so we just clean it manually
I saw them I sent them the dimensions of what I needed and they quoted me for 950 I think if I remember correctly I’m still waiting for two more quotes.

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
This is what i picked up from Tusi when i went to see his tank. IMG_6669.jpeg
Currently my Fav mushroom IMG_6632.jpeg
such a sweet scoly
IMG_6631.jpeg
little Octospawn action
IMG_6629.jpeg
When you have a lot of green in the tank lol
IMG_6391.jpegIMG_6389.jpegIMG_6385.jpeg

Reactions: DEL