• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My first flood...

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think the main goal is to make sure the whole system stays wet. I also leave mine on all the time with the use of float switches.

So it's safe to leave the feed valve on and only shut off the pour valve if I only plan to use my RO/DI unit every other week for water changes?

I thought both needed to be shut off to not damage the membrane...hence the auto-shut off valve that kicks back the drain water when the pour spout is shut off.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The auto shut off doesn't stop the flow going into the main intake of the RO/DI unit. There is always pressure in the line coming in, unless you shut it off at the source.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's really your decision, I would keep it hooked up and use a valve on the output of the RO/DI. But if you want to put a valve on the intake and the output and then disconnect it from the main that would be fine as well. As long as you keep it filled with water so the filters don't dry out.

Not to confuse you any further, but you may want to put a flush valve on your system if you don't already have it. With so much limited use I would recommend flushing it before each use.

HTH!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We've never turned ours off at the source, not even when we were making water once every two weeks. I don't see a need nor a purpose to that, but that's just me. I suppose if a hose ever came disconnected from my unit I'd be ... hosed. But otherwise it hasn't caused me any problems. We're still getting 0 TDS out of it after a LONG time running.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Like Phyl said, we never shut ours off at the source for any length of time. The one thing I did do, though, was install a John Guest shut off valve in the feed line between the sink and the filter just in case I ever needed to shut it off for a minute or two. It came in handy a few times because it was right next to the filter and I didn't have to climb all the way under the sink to get at it.

It's not necessary, just very cheap and nice to have.