• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My First Reef :)

Hi everyone,

My name is Justin and just a little background on myself I am a 21 year old student getting a double masters in Chemistry and Education. I had my first 10 gallon community fw tank when I was 12 that my father and I took care of together. Now as an independent adult I have my own 55g Discus tank and a 55g African Cichlid tank that I’ve had for multiple years now. I have made the exciting decision to get a 15g nano reef tank. The equipment that I will be running is as follows:

-JBJ 15 Gallon Rimless Nano RL-15 AIO Aquarium
-AquaIllumination AI Prime 16 HD Reef Aquarium LED
-AquaMaxx NF-1 Nano Protein Skimmer - in-Sump
-Cobalt Aquatics Mini MJ 606 Water Pump
-Cobalt Aquatics Accu Therm Submersible Heater

I will also be running an ATO system which consists of the following
-Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget HydroFill Ti Auto Top Off ATO Reservoir - 5 Gallon
-Innovative Marine Hydro Fill Ti ATO Controller
-Innovative Marine Hydro Fill Ti ATO Pump System

I am posting on this forum because I have a few questions. I know I have some unnecessary equipment but is there anything else you recommend? Additionally, I’m looking to purchase some pieces of rock and a bunch of frags of “beginner” corals. If anyone can help me out or provide me with any insight on a store or local seller where I can find rocks and frags that would be amazing! I live in Morris County but I can travel!

Last edited:
Hey welcome!
I highly recommend getting a temp controller. Probably the most important piece of equipment in a tank aside from the heater itself. Inkbird on amazon is people's go to.

Aside from that, some decent hobby grade test kits will go a long way with figuring out your tank until you understand it well enough to know when something is wrong. (Red Sea and Hanna are my favorites)
but what you have is good enough to get started. You'll want more as you go along.
All you need is some rock, sand (if you want it)salt and water and you're good to go!

The most popular stores here seem to be Reefco, Aquatic Obsessions and Aquarium Care Center.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club and the hobby! Your equipment list looks about right - heater, pumps, skimmer, light, ATO. Really not much more that you need to get going. If you're interested in some live rock, I can sell you some smaller pieces as well as some beginner corals. You can take some chaeto if want to try to set up a refugium (in which case you'll need at least a small refugium light). Also I can give you some easy palys to get you started. Where in Morris County are you? I'm in Florham Park.

The stores that are the closest to Morris County would be SeaLevel Aquarium and Absolutely Fish.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
Welcome !! Sounds like a good start.
If you can setup up a small quarantine tank with small filter and heating that could save you from alot of problems even if it small 5 or 10 gallon tank.
Sea level is a very nice shop which I like to go to. Reefco and absolutely fish are good too.

Welcome Justin.

As you read and learn you will find there is no one way to do anything. One thing most people agree with is to go slow. I rushed through the process, starting with cycling, and I believe it cost me in the long run battling instabity.

Welcome to the club and the hobby! Your equipment list looks about right - heater, pumps, skimmer, light, ATO. Really not much more that you need to get going. If you're interested in some live rock, I can sell you some smaller pieces as well as some beginner corals. You can take some chaeto if want to try to set up a refugium (in which case you'll need at least a small refugium light). Also I can give you some easy palys to get you started. Where in Morris County are you? I'm in Florham Park.

The stores that are the closest to Morris County would be SeaLevel Aquarium and Absolutely Fish.
Get yourself a reliable RODI if you plan on making your own water!
Thanks for the suggestion! I was actually planning on “borrowing” RO/DI water from my research lab in Florham Park. I have a jerrycan I can use to transport the water and it’s close to my house in Morris Plains/ Parsippany :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion! I was actually planning on “borrowing” RO/DI water from my research lab. I have a jerrycan I can use to transport the water and it’s close to my house :)

You'll just want to make sure you have enough stored at home if you're not going to make it. Never know when an emergency may happen and you need to do a series of water changes. Wouldn't want to keep running back to and from the lab.

Welcome Justin.

As you read and learn you will find there is no one way to do anything. One thing most people agree with is to go slow. I rushed through the process, starting with cycling, and I believe it cost me in the long run battling instabity.
Thank you for the tip. I always end up going slow because I am so particular in how I want things. My discus tank has over 40 pounds of Quartz crystals (I have my gemologist certification from the GIA And I have always loved gemstones and quartz is aquarium safe). I hand picked these massive obelisks over 2 months while the tank was cycling just so it would be perfect in my eyes haha!

Thanks

for the suggestion! I was actually planning on “borrowing” RO/DI water from my research lab in Florham Park. I have a jerrycan I can use to transport the water and it’s close to my house in Morris Plains/Parsippany :)

Hey welcome!
I highly recommend getting a temp controller. Probably the most important piece of equipment in a tank aside from the heater itself. Inkbird on amazon is people's go to.

Aside from that, some decent hobby grade test kits will go a long way with figuring out your tank until you understand it well enough to know when something is wrong. (Red Sea and Hanna are my favorites)
but what you have is good enough to get started. You'll want more as you go along.
All you need is some rock, sand (if you want it)salt and water and you're good to go!

The most popular stores here seem to be Reefco, Aquatic Obsessions and Aquarium Care Center.
Thank you so much. I actually have been looking into this because I am worried about overheating in the summer. Do you you have any recommendations on ways to cool the tank. I have a small battery operated fan to cool the surface of the water but this tank is a display tank in my bedroom and I would like it to look as streamline and sleek as possible (the tank also has a glass lid which I’d like to keep on). I have looked into chillers but I am unfamiliar with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Looks like you got the basics covered for a nano, just be sure, as mentioned, to use RODI water and run a 2-3 gallon water change a week and you'll be off to a great start.
Guessing you're running it at 1.025 or 26 salinity, Red Sea Pro is my choice of salt but you'll be fine with Reef Crystals or any others, just stick with it and keep the tank consistent.
A simple small fan is fine for cooling, forget the chiller. I have a small Vornado on a bookshelf 6' or so away in the summer for a 30g tank. Just be aware that with the increased evap your going to have to top up that ATO more often.
I run a simple temp controller ($30 Amazon deal) that kicks the fan on at 80 and the heater on at 77, works absolutely fine for a nano, no need for expensive controller systems.
Best of luck. If you're ever down by the shore, lemme know, I'm in Brick. Would be happy to pass on a few nice pieces of rock that I have left (just gave a load away) and you'd be welcome a few coral cuts from my tank (from the limited selection I have).