• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My first tank

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
016C9060-BBEA-4EEF-9B78-E8CB23CB7DC2.jpeg So this is my first attempt at a saltwater tank. I’m not so experienced in the hobby but I have been doing my research. Hours and hours of research. My brain is a little toasted for all the information I have absorbed and yet I still feel I can learn more.

Any advice comments, questions, concerns please let me know.

It’s currently in the 4th day or so the fishless cycle.

It’s a 24-25gal tank
I have a aquaclear 50 hob filter
100w heater
Sunsun 130 power head
Shallow sand bed
8lbs of macro reg and about 12lbs of dead dry rock.
RODI water (luckily in my town there is a purified water vendor so I only pay about 1.50 a gallon.)
I dont know what else to write. I have a ton of questions about flow and lighting if anyway wants to talk me under there wing for a lesson

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
off to a good start!

biggest advise is to be patient and don't rush anything. take your time and do things right!

ask away with what questions you have in regards to flow and light and everyone here will chime in.

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
off to a good start!

biggest advise is to be patient and don't rush anything. take your time and do things right!

ask away with what questions you have in regards to flow and light and everyone here will chime in.

With a small tank like this. Which I consider small which is the best placement for a good flow with a power head. I currently have it faced up for surface aggatation.

Also i forgot to mention the dead live rock now looks kinda white and fuzzy could this be organic die off ?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
With a small tank like this. Which I consider small which is the best placement for a good flow with a power head. I currently have it faced up for surface aggatation.

Also i forgot to mention the dead live rock now looks kinda white and fuzzy could this be organic die off ?

feel like that should work out and it could be anything, might be fungal due to the die off. keep an eye on it.

Flow and lighting depend on what you are keeping. I still can't get my flow perfect, but movement without blasting corals appears to be best, especially if the flow direction changes. Great lighting can be expensive, but may not be required for what you are keeping. Small tanks can be more sensitive to water fluctuations. They are also easy to outgrow, so you might not want to sink too much into the first one. Keep the changes slow. I would also suggest keeping easier fish or corals first to gain experience and gain experience. Go to club meetings to see how other people do their tanks. Try to find out what works for them and why. I had a hang-on filter on a tank for 3 years, so it can be done, although I also used a hang on protein skimmer and didn't keep SPS corals.

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Flow and lighting depend on what you are keeping. I still can't get my flow perfect, but movement without blasting corals appears to be best, especially if the flow direction changes. Great lighting can be expensive, but may not be required for what you are keeping. Small tanks can be more sensitive to water fluctuations. They are also easy to outgrow, so you might not want to sink too much into the first one. Keep the changes slow. I would also suggest keeping easier fish or corals first to gain experience and gain experience. Go to club meetings to see how other people do their tanks. Try to find out what works for them and why. I had a hang-on filter on a tank for 3 years, so it can be done, although I also used a hang on protein skimmer and didn't keep SPS corals.

Thank you by the way the encouragement is really helpful cause I really want this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Welcome to the club. This site is great as there is no judment. Also welcome to the hobby which there is 1,000s of ways to do something and at least one person will tell you that you are doing it wrong lol.

You are off to a good start. As mentioned above take your time. There a saying 'nothing good happens quick in saltwate tanks'.

What are you plans on keeping in the tank?
Fish only?
Corals?
If yes to corals:
Mix?
LPS?
Sofites?
SPS?

Answers to those questions will help figure out lighting, flow, etc...

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Thanks again and yes I want to keep a few fish nothing that’s going to out grow the tank As for coral yes I do want to keep some but I’m leaning more on the beginner side of coral. Softies and few LPS. Actually my fist coral is going to be a blue green Discosoma mushroom....i dont know why but I just like it.

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Update I have a small hitchhiker in my tank
42b3a1a905ed90da21fbc8f1ef10fbd5.jpg

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Asterina. There are many different types. Pay attn. A few types will eat coral. If yours do not, then it's a good CUC member. Even if it doesn't, you will probably need to manually remove to keep their numbers in check.

If you see one, you have 50. If you see 50 you have hundreds. Look at the glass in the middle of the night with a flashlight for a better idea of how many you have.

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Sorry I’ll work on posting better photos and work a better format of updating you guys on this tank I didn’t take me long to upgrade but I want to make sure i do it nice and slow I’m in no rush.

Attachments

• 1F5775F0-9CDA-47FF-863C-6CC38169630C.jpeg
    1F5775F0-9CDA-47FF-863C-6CC38169630C.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 3D3D9BF4-D5D0-4B6C-8955-5E6372FBA576.jpeg
    3D3D9BF4-D5D0-4B6C-8955-5E6372FBA576.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Who the rock works current looks. I have to keep it in the tank to get I a feel for as to make sure my cat doesn’t get any ideas

Attachments

• C2DCEA2B-76F8-4D5B-B115-77EFAB772506.jpeg
    C2DCEA2B-76F8-4D5B-B115-77EFAB772506.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 53933E65-492D-4E3A-B04A-752A7B3A0502.jpeg
    53933E65-492D-4E3A-B04A-752A7B3A0502.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16