• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My Fish Tank Named Lucky!!!! *new*

Well here's the story so far.

I've moved into my new apartment and landed a decent career here in Jersey and finally a hobby of mine decided to manifest itself in me. Fish Tank's!! Watching my father as a boy deal with his 40 Gal filled with Oscars and various other mismatched fish I was always facinated with the hobby. (Btw my fathers Oscars ate everything in the tank until only they remained for 3 years.) I decided to go the route of African Cichlids and purchased a 30 gallon tank + stand + other stuff for around 220 dollars Retail. After ornaments heaters and 8 Danios + 2 Substrate changes I spent over 400 dollars on the Freshwater and I hadn't even put in an African Cichlid yet lol. The tanks breaking in now in its 13th day.

I digress, after visiting my LFS nearly every day for 2 weeks to look at African Cichlids I would ALWAYS browse near the Saltwater tanks and amaze at what I saw. The fish the corals the PRICE OMFG..... Slowly before the African tank had even finished cycling I found my self looking for a bigger better fish tank to POSSIBLY start a saltwater tank. One day on Craigs List I saw a a 55 Gallon Bow Front Corner tank for 200 dollars including Live Rock, a Wet/Dry System, Heater, All tubing Lighting and Stand. I was shocked happy and pissed (I'd just spent 220 bucks for a 30 gallon tank with the same thing retail.) I took 160 dollars with me to meet the person selling the tank telling my self only and ONLY if they settled for 160 or less I'd tank the tank for "The Future." I got there and after mentioning the ad said Negotiable they said please take the tank 130 bucks will cover it. I said nothing else and left with my tank LUCKY. The Tank sat there for 2 days before I cleaned the Wet/Dry system and tank to get it set for saltwater.

Equip:

Aqua Clear Wet Dry Pro 75 with Built In Skimmer.
RIO 1700 Pump for the Sump and RIO 600 for the Skimmer (Venturi)
Stock Lighting with 1 Coralife 2000K Bulb and a regular Flourescent Bulb.
Various other "items."

Day 1 - I hate the Wet/Dry system. For a corner tank the tank has to stick out at least 4/5 inches from the wall in order to facilitate the HOB preskimmer and overflow box. I was victim to my first flood as I hit the swith on the powerstrip stopping the pumps and bang flood ville. BAH!

Day 2 - I purchased some new media for the Wet/Dry some ceramic media.

Day 3 - I mixed the salt water inside of the tank and run the system again to make sure everything was going right. I drained half of the salt water and put in 15lbs Carib-Sea Crushed Gravel Rock and 60lbs of Carib-Sea Live Sand creating about a 2.5/3 Inch bed.

Day 4 - Live sand has been churning and after scouting around and finding LR cheapest for 6.75 - 10.00 a Lb It seemed that I would need about 500 dollars + to have hope of getting my Aquarium off the ground. But my tank is called lucky.

Day 5 - Another day on the Craigs List and I located a man that broke down a 1000 Gallon tank and was selling 400lbs of live rock all corallined up. The tank was so huge that the Polyps and Zoo's in there had been spreading all across the tank. I picked up 60lbs of LR for 200 bucks and introduced them into my tank.

Day 6 - I hated the fact that my tank looked so ugly standing 5 inches from the wall. Lucky struck again and a Incorrect PRICING went missed at PETCO landing me a EHEIM Canister filter rated for a 125+ Gallon tank for 119 bucks. I took out half the salt water put on my canister filter and purchased a LEE Intank Skimmer rated for a 75 gallon + tank. After everything was up and running the tank securely in the corner the entire thing never looked so beautiful. I even noticed that 2 RED Mushrooms I have not been able to identify tagged along as well as 2 hermit crabs. I was able to purchase an Intensely bright Current - Sea Lighting fixture with a brand new bulb 50/50 in the box for 50 bucks from the same guy as the Live Rock. Yay Corals!!!!!!!!!!

I purchased 4 Green Chromis and introduced them into the tank.
At this Point. I have no idea what to do next.... help?

im003630_720.jpg

im003634_247.jpg

im003621_171.jpg

Since this post I have

Ordered a 380 Watt Metal Halide Lighting system
1X 250 Watt MH
2X 65 Watt Acitinics
4X Blue/White Moon Lights

I'm waiting for that to arrive.

I Also ordered a Tunze 9005 internal Skimmer and I'm thinking of purchasing a Ozone Generator.

Also I added the Following Live stock

4 Green chromis (Pet Shanty)
2 Per Oc Clowns (Aquatic Obsessions)
1 Lawnmower Blenny (Petco)
5 Astrea Snails (Absolutely Fish)
2 Nasarius Sand Snails (Small) (Absolutely Fish)
1 Emerald Crab (Small) (Pet Shanty)
3 Scarlet Hermit Crabs (Small) (Pet Shanty)
2 Blue Leg hermit Crabs (Tiny) (Pet Shanty)
1 Sand Sifting Goby Beautiful (Red Sand)
1 Yellow sea Cucumber (Red Sand)

I Re arranged the rock a bit as well. Pics coming soon.

Right now I'm dealing with Hair Algae and Red Slime but the sand goby is eathing through that fast as hell and the lawnmower blenny is mowing the grass. The Canister filter is doing extremely well. my ONLY concern is that I dont know if I did a bad thing putting the rock up high and the filter attachment is down low. I have 2 maxijets 900 Blowing directly onto the rock and subsequently i think its circulating water into the rock and past the filter attachment. I have to do a test to find out.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
You didn't mention if you had any test kits, what the params were, and also if you use ro/di (which will really cut down on that algae you're fighting).

I'm using RO/DI water that I got from my schools chem lab. I think the algae came becasue of inadequate lighting and because the sun touched the tank during the days on a few spots and thats where it started growing. I need to purchase my own RO/DI filter system and I saw a few on ebay relatively cheap and effective. I think I might invest in one and start using it to perform a series of water changes that will eventually remove the old tap water from the system. In the mean time all the mistakes I made regarding the tank seem that it will net me a few extra parts that I might be selling on the site soon.

I still havent decided if i'm going to continue to use my canister filter or if I will succumb to the ugly POS that will be my tank if it have to pull it 5/6 inches from the wall to accomodate that overflow box. It didn't look too bad at all and it did make it easier to use a magnet to clean the sides of the tank but still I wasn't too happy with it. Probably cause during setup we had our first flood lol. I didn't like that if I hit the switch by mistake or something the damn thing would flood and kill all my tanks inhabitants. Mind you Blackouts are few and far between where I live but still I'm a little afraid.

(snipped)...nevermind...

minor quip - it's a 250 MH - what kind of bulb did you get?

the 2x65 - i assume those are pc actinics?

love to see another FTS with all the critters you have. By the way - check your params as it's always better to take it slow initially...when you ramp up quickly (in terms of livestock) it can cause fluctuations in the water chemistry.

nice...that little false perc looks really tiny! or is that the bow front messing with me?

the tank looks great - no red algae or hair algae to be seen!

No hehe HE IS really tiny. We got a pair from a friend at the LFS who's pair tank bred these two for us. He held them for a week or so before letting them go home with us. The bigg one is ChopStik's and the Small one is HappyEnding. Thats their names.

lol - love the names...

on the left side of the pic - it looks like a queen conch - but you don't list that in your livestock.

If it is...your tank is pretty bare now (algae wise)...might want to consider dropping some nori at night for the conch. Good luck~!

unfortunately he had to shut this tank down - but he's starting a new (bigger) one...I for one am looking forward to whatever new names he has in store for the fish...and I think he even named his cuke.... ;D