• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My Green Bubble Coral needs help!

Hello NJRC-

I purchased a bubble coral colony at absolutely fish two weeks ago. at first, it was gorgeous, except over time it started to inflate less and less. I tested all the chemicals, and everything came back great except for a little bit of nitrate. I did a water change, but called absolutely fish afterward to explain to them what was happening. It was at this time they explained to me that I needed to feed it krill or mysis shrimp(although they didnt tell me this when I was in STORE), I have been giving it calcium and stronium supplements, and started feeding it brine shrimp last night. How often should I do this until it gets healthy? Is there anything else I can do? I dont see any sweeper tenticles. I will post pics in 5 minutes

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't expect lack of feeding alone to cause it to stop inflating. I'm more inclined to think flow, excess nutritients, and lighting as culprits. A full tank shot along with the pictures would be good.

Agree with Phyl.

Where is it located in the tank? What type of lighting? What type of flow is it getting? Bubbles don't need to be fed but they do benefit from supplemental feedings. I think there is something else happening here.

Get that picture up. Without it, I would probably say flow is greatest suspect. Bubbles do best at bottom of tank (assuming decent lighting) in low to medium flow. If it's not inflating, the flow sounds like it may be too hard on it.

here's a pic. Its a PC light 50/50- 130 watt total. It is located in the middle/bottom of the tank. I have a frogspawn and torch which looks very happy. FTS coming in a minute. For water flow, there is a Seaclone Skimmer and a penguin filter. no wavemaker its a 20 GAL tank

Is that bare skeleton in the picture? Has it lost polyps or is it just not inflating? Did you acclimate it to the light? 20G is pretty shallow so it may be harsh for it being in middle of tank (though unlikely given this is only PC lighting). How close is it to the other euphyllia corals? It might be getting stung. Both frogspawn and torch sting harder than the bubble and that may be the cause. Waiting for FTS.

here's the FTS. Keep in mind I just turned the light on so I could show you guys the FTS. THe red in the center of the bubbles mouth is some brine shrimp I tried feeding him. He ate it. How often should I feed it? Is there anything else I can do>

What is that in the upper right hand corner that is directing flow to middle of the tank? It looks like it is aiming straight at the bubble. I think you have enough space between the corals. Try and redirect that stream away a bit from the bubble or try moving the bubble down to sand.

Is it actually eating the brine? You might be aggravating it by force feeding it. I've tried feeding my LPS before with mixed results. Most of the time, it gets pretty peeved at me and closes up. Once in a long while (emphasis on long) it will take the food I give it.

It is eating it, and seems to be looking better after feeding it. What you're looking at is the penguin filter, with another access valve located in the middle of the tube. I will close that, and possibly move the bubble to the sand. thanks calaxa, and I'm open if anyone has any more advice

I would move it onto the sand in the lower right corner. Make sure it doesn't get too much flow.

Continue to offer it food and keep up with water changes.

blange's spot is what I would suggest too but is that a toadstool up above? I would worry that it would shade it too much if it opens up more. Putting it nearer to glass might help (but may suck for algae scraping)

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have the same coral in a 75g with T5 lights, 36" 4 bulbs. Mine is the on the bottom right of the tank. It gets indirect flow from the 2 koriala's I have and seems well. I never directly feed it.

I would put in under the toadstool in the sand. Mine is in a cove at the bottom of my tank and it loves it there
they do not like alot of flow
HPIM3566.jpg

calaxa said:
blange's spot is what I would suggest too but is that a toadstool up above? I would worry that it would shade it too much if it opens up more. Putting it nearer to glass might help (but may suck for algae scraping)

Shading is OK while it is stressed. If it's eating it can handle less light long term as well.

When they are in lower light, they tend to extend more. When they extend, they are easier to feed. Eventually you will be able to move it out into the light more.

Also, since you do have the toadstool, I would run carbon and change it every 7-10 days.

great thank you. I have one more question. The bubbles are stating to inflate a bit more, now that I moved it to the sand in the right corner. However, the mouth is extending open, and it looks like velcro. Does that mean its pissed? hungry?

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
My experience with my green bubble, is that it likes high levels of magnesium. What is your MG at?? Above 1300 is sufficient. Whenever my bubble starts to show signs of stress, my magnesium levels are low. I would def check you MG and if its too low start supplementing.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Good point about the Mg. All of my LPS tends to react adversely (including my Frogs) when the Mg is low.