• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My Green Bubble Coral needs help!

If you dose with a two part calc supplement they usually have Mg too. If it is opening up more by doing what Bill said then looks like it was a placement problem. The return pointed at it was probably it.

Anything coming out of the mouth?

When they have been eating, they do expel waste.

When they are pi**ed off the expel some of their guts.

Leave it alone for awhile and see what happens. That it is inflating more is a good sign.

If it continues to expand try feeding something a little bigger and meatier, like whole krill or pieces of silversides.

When you check the mag if it is low, don't try to raise it too fast.

Since you are tuned in here Bill how many pieces do you have to feed the bubble corals. Are they all one head or can you at times count the mouths on them? I got one from at the last meeting it looks great with inflating except when it "smells" food then it sticks out its tentacles. Figure this is a good time to get a LPS lesson for both of us.

JRWOHLER said:
Since you are tuned in here Bill how many pieces do you have to feed the bubble corals. Are they all one head or can you at times count the mouths on them? I got one from at the last meeting it looks great with inflating except when it "smells" food then it sticks out its tentacles. Figure this is a good time to get a LPS lesson for both of us.

Before Mr. Bubble lost his battle with my since banished plate coral, I would feed him 1 or 2 silversides twice a week. They usually have a single mouth. 5-6 whole krill was an alternate meal. I would stop as the feeding response slowed down a bit.

297_19_10_07_9_47_07.JPG

brine shrimp = popcorn. Don't use it all the time.

seaclone skimmer = horrible. Better off just doing water changes or looking for a new skimmer.

let me start by thanking Calaxa for his constant help and support. I looked up another sites thread regarding a guys bubble that looks almost exactly as bad as mine. What he did was dip lugols iodine at 60 drops to the gallon for about 15 to 20 minuets..and it looked brand new in a week. Should I do this? if so, how do i do it? I hope this coral lives, or I may be exiting this hobby. To all the reefers out there, never let your girlfriend purchase a piece of coral for you, it has repercussions!

His bubble was experiencing something else, brown jelly disease. I lost my torch like this. First day gorgeous, 2nd day half polyps decayed, 3rd day, down to 3 heads from 20+ and died that night. It is good practice to dip in iodine (lugol's is just diluted iodine) as a preventive measure. The tips on his picture are signs of decay. I cannot see that in your picture (though it is too small for me to see detail). Brown jelly disease is very very distinct. The coral's tissue is rapidly invaded by a protozoa and leaves the brown residue. This residue will be purple/brown and very very slimy. It will also stink like you wouldn't believe. If you suspect this is your problem, take a good whiff of the coral. All the Euphyllia LPS are prone to this disease, usually occurring as a secondary/opportunistic infection (stings from neighbors, bruises, etc.) The disease hits hard and fast so if you want to be safe, try dipping, but realize your coral is already a bit stressed now from earlier.

Looks pretty healthy. Just looks a bit peeved and not opening all the way. If it were me, I would just leave it be for a few days now. Don't try to feed anymore. Let it settle. Forget about dipping. You already "contaminated" the tank by adding him so not really going to help much. Just keep an eye out on the situation. Make sure there is progress. Make sure everyone else is happy too.

FYI, 20G is a bit tough to learn on. Larger systems are much more forgiving. A 29G adds almost 50% more volume and has same footprint. It's about $40 brand new and I don't even know how much used ($15?). Still even that is too small to learn on. You can send me a frag of the bubble or the torch when they get healthier as a thank you =) J/K