• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My new Fish Cam!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I acquired a new Foscam FI9820W from Kevin and got it setup today. This is a pretty cool little device and I've been able to set it up without any troubles at all. The only real issue I have is a decent spot to mount the camera to get a good view of my tank. But, I was able to find a spot up close to a corner where I can see my large sebae anemone up close, then I can pan to the right to see a decent view of one side of my tank. I may have to end up getting another one so I can see the other side too!

The camera location is likely temporary. If you can't see anything, I may be moving it around or messing with the settings.

Anyway, if anyone wants to check it out, just go Here

There are 2 versions to choose from. The "Video View" is for any computer browser. The "Mobile View" will work with any smart phone with internet access. Either one you choose will accept the same login info...

login:user
pw:tanksnstuff

Some basic info of the panel:

- The first thing you may want to do though is change the view from Auto to 1280x720. This will give a larger screen and it has been better image quality for me so far anyway.

- You will have access to be able to pan the camera the full rotation. There's a round dial with arrows at north, south, east, west. You can click those to move the camera around. It's in a spot where you can't see much else besides the tank and part of my dining room. It may be offline for a while tonight since we have company coming over dessert. :p

- I have also setup 3 preset camera locations. These can be used by going to the dropdown box under the round dial, picking 1, 2, or 3... and then click on go. #1 is a closeup of my large sebae anemone, #2 is a view of the right side of the tank, #3 is that same side, but panned up a bit to see some of my SPS. I may add more or adjust those if/when I move the camera. These are nice because it's a quick click to a desired view.

- Last option you will have is to zoom in and out. Under the viewer, you will see a + and - and a dot. + will zoom in closer, - will zoom further out, the dot will take you to the default.

Feel free to comment or make suggestions.

One more quick note - Due to the natural light coming through the windows, there will be times when there is a glare on the tank. My wife already declined my request to board up the windows, so I'll just have to live with that for now. :(

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's in color during the day Mike. At night, it automatically switches to infrared mode which only shows black/white.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Joe.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Some people have been playing with the cam and leaving it pointing towards areas of the room other than my tank. :eek: The wife got a lil paranoid and asked me to stop letting people have the ability to move the cam around.

Therefore, I changed the pw for the user account. However, anyone can still login and view the cam at whatever I have it pointing at by using the guest account.

User:guest
pw: guest

Sorry, but it's either I restrict the public or have to remove the cam... so this is the best I can do for you all. I'll try to find out if I can set it up to flip through the preset views so at least you all don't get bored.

Very cool. I can c ur clown in the nem and c what looks like a copper banded butterfly speeping in the back. But just so u don't get in trouble I can still pan all over the room in the mobile mode. I think that would creep out my wife too. But it is really cool to let us c the whole tank ths t way.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You mean put a helmet over the cam? LOL. I don't think the wife would like that either Brian.

kevin

NJRC Member
Video looks great! My wife was creeped out because I would stalk her in the morning while she slept & I was at work. You can also turn sound on.. so people can hear & they can talk back to you.

Can the camera be set up to the Apex controller? Can you get a video feed into your phone from the Neptune app?

Since this is an HD camera, I don't believe you can set it up with the APEX for now.
You can download a program from your phone called "IP Cam Viewer" ... and control it from there

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Since its by the tank maybe find a big seashell to put on the room side of the cam so the peeping peeps only see the shell.