• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My New Oceanic 70 Tec Tank

Well here is my new reef tank in the making. I got it up and running over the past weekend. The water is still a little cloudy but you can get the idea. Let me know what you think. I still have to purchase lighting for it. I just cannot decide on MH or bite the bullet and go for the New I series SOLARIS.
1001_02_10_07_9_52_51.JPG

1001_02_10_07_9_53_51.JPG

1001_02_10_07_9_53_34.JPG

1001_02_10_07_9_53_25.JPG

Yes, Marco live rock. I am not sure what I want to keep in it yet. I have basically been doing what ever catches my eye. I currently have a clam, anem, soft corals, LPS, Maroon clown, Bi-Color Blenny, Long Spine Urchin, and an unknown starfish who will be making the switch over from the AP to the new tank. I am fairly new to the hobby and I am still learning as I go. How long does it take for the rock to seed?

Ihop said:
Yes, Marco live rock. I am not sure what I want to keep in it yet. I have basically been doing what ever catches my eye. I currently have a clam, anem, soft corals, LPS, Maroon clown, Bi-Color Blenny, Long Spine Urchin, and an unknown starfish who will be making the switch over from the AP to the new tank. I am fairly new to the hobby and I am still learning as I go. How long does it take for the rock to seed?

The seeding really depends on your system overall. I added a new piece to my system about 1 month ago and it is just starting to look like what I want.

did you put the rock in first or the sand? just wondering how secure the rock is...especially if you get livestock that burrows in sand.

I started with about 15-20 lbs of sand then set the rock. I then added more sand around it. All the rocks are also epoxied together making the structure very stable.

JRWOHLER said:
Sweet tank you did a really nice job. I don't know how much it costs but go for the lights really clean looking.

Thanks man. I paid $1800 for the 36" H series. There's plenty of light for my LPS's. In fact I only run the day lights at 80 and day blues at 90. I've found anything above that is too bright. It even bleached out my Lobo at that lighting level. It took me a few days to figure out how to run the settings to get it to simulate sunrise/sunset, cloud cover, ect. but once I figured it out it's been great for the tank.

Here are some updated pics of my tank. Still has a long way to go.... I am very happy I was successful pairing up my maroon clowns though. They are now inseparable.
1001_28_11_07_10_15_07.JPG

1001_28_11_07_10_13_54.JPG

1001_28_11_07_10_14_18.JPG

Paul the tank looks good , that is a good thread from the begining of the tank , any quest dont hesitate to ask , there is a lot of knowledge in here and excellent people here willing to help each other good luck with the new tank .

KathyC said:
Nice tank Ihop, good progress.
Is that a Chocolate Chip starfish I see in there?
I am not sure what Kind of star fish it is... It looks like a C.C. a little but then again it doesn't. I think that is going along with the urchin... Don't want to loose any expensive corals.