• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My new tank

I recently got some help from club members bringing my new tank into the house. I want to say thanks again to youse guys.

The tank was made by Glasscages, as was the stand. Their truck broke down in PA, so we went out to Allentown to get it.

Here are some pix of the move, and the new tank in place:
AFD2007200.jpg

Getting the tank out of the van. It's good we took these pix, because on the stand it's hard to tell how BIG it is!
AFD2007202.jpg

After the move, enjoying a frosty cold beverage. Left to right, Sam, Me, Bill, my friend Howie, and Brian. Just like F-Troop, "some blood was shed..."
It took one van for the tank, and another for the stand. Here's the stand waiting to be finished:
AFD2007201.jpg

A few quarts of polyurethane and some stain later, here is is in place. Two people lifted it onto the stand, but it was really heavy (300lbs):
fishtank004.jpg

Needs some scale, let's drop a kid in there. NICHOLAS!
fishtank003.jpg

Here's a demo of how he's gonna swim in it:
fishtank002.jpg

The tank is 65"X30"X24". Works out to a hair over 200 gallons. Front and one side are low-iron glass. End view:
fishtank006.jpg

The only holes are those three in the back.
Thanks again everybody. Once it's set up we can have a meeting at my house!

Looks great, and if the reef doesn't work out, looks like an ideal cage to keep children out of trouble(evil grin)(but just teasing)

hat made you decide with glasscages, i have read so many bad things about them.. It made me nervous, but their prices are great...

also how is their silicone work?

good Luck with the tank Jim!

The tank is 65X30X 25", it works out to right around 210G, subtract a bit for glass and the overflow I guess.

Here's a little rant about Glasscages for ya: I priced my tank at two other custom makers and they wanted THREE TIMES as much money. I am a Government employee with two kids, I don't have a lot of disposable income and I don't get bonuses, I have to get a good bang for my buck! Tom from Glasscages is definitely a crank, he has even done the "Soup Nazi" thing to some people he decided were going to be a pain in the butt, and refused their business! I understand him though, so it's not an issue for me. The general public is hard to deal with, think about it.
Glasscages makes more large tanks than anybody. Tom claims they make more LARGE (over 180G) tanks than AGA or Oceanic. There are many, many people who buy tanks who are not on the forums. The world is bigger than you think! They bring a truckload to up to NY every month now.
I have seen Glasscages tanks for years, my friend has two in his store that are at least 10 years old. What I'm getting at is that, they have gotten better at making tanks. The glass edges aren't sharp any more, and they are pretty good with the silicone. Not super artistic, but they don't trowel it on anymore. I only had one small goober on the side glass, maybe that's how they sign their work. The bead is pretty good on the side seams and top bracing, a little heavy on the internal bracing on the bottom.
The stand is very sturdy but very plain. It doesn't have a hinged door, just pull-out panel. If I had the time and the carpentry skillz I would prefer something nicer. Still, I asked my friends the finish carpenters what they would charge me to build a furniture-type stand,and they wanted twice what Glasscages charges. And that's at the friend rate! Maybe I'll stick some crown moldings on it to dress it up. ;)
Here endeth the rant.