• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

my one clown is severly attacking the other

i have had these clowns together for months, and they never really did any bickering. although the last 2 days they have been going after each other non stop. they arent hanging around each other anymore and they are both chasing each other, so neither is giving up dominance.

how long should i wait to pull one out and give it to someone. i dont want any realy harm to come of either of them, but so far neither is giving up.

it seemed to have happened when one clown took to the new anemone. it doesnt make much sense though becuase the other one took to the frogspawn on the other side of the tank before this.

i am going to do some reformatting of the tank to mix them up because i am not sure i believe this will confuse them to give up their territories. i am not sure it is territorial since it happens all over the tank, top, bottem, left and right sides of the tank.

in the past when i had clowns one would always give up relatively quickly and the bickering stopped, but i have never seen any of my clowns declare all out war on each other like this

i dont have anything to seperate them, and the tank is a 14g tank so there really isnt much place for either to go. i have had them both since they were tiny and they came from the same clutch (i believe)

any help on ideas would be helpful

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I just added a smaller second clown about a month ago.So far so good. They stay together most of the time.Sorry can't help. I wouldn't know what to do.Good luck with yours

i moved stuff around, they were still fighting with each other as i was moving stuff. they didnt even care that i was moving stuff.

i dont know what is going on anymore

moving stuff around didnt help, he is still viciously attacking the other. is there anything else i can do. my clown just hides all the time now, even during feeding, he stops eating just to attack

i think i need to remove one

You could try putting the aggressor into a small quarantine container inside of the main tank. I did that with success. I needed to hold the aggressor for about 4 weeks before my clowns settled down.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I gree with putting the agressor in a container within the main tank. Doesn't matter what you use as long as its clear. Plus I would add extra holes for more water movement and on the bottome to help remove waste. I used the small reptile containers with no mod or deli containers with may holes. Good luck.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
You could use a large or ex-large net(one from lfs).

it might be that both are female and now fighting for dominance. If that is true then no amount of separation will help.

i got them both when they were babies, less then 1 inch. i have had them for months now, so i dont think they are both females. i was thinking that they might be determining their gender now, but i have no idea. i dont see how they could both be females.

i think i will try to seperate them by putting in a container.